Please help! Rooster attacking hen(s)

Pics
I'm hoping someone here can help me. I've posted my issue on a thread called "Aggressive Rooster attacked aggressive Hen." I'm not sure if this is the same situation, as my hen is always fairly dominant and challenges the rooster. But she's pretty beat up (she still has her eye- so not like OP). I've not seen any sign of him being aggressive like this with any of the other hens. He is a vigorous mater and one of the hens is showing some feather loss on her back and the back of her head, but not any injuries per se.

I have my old girl down in the garage to allow her to heal from her wounds, but I'm not sure if my guy needs to be culled, or if he's just trying to just establish his position at the top of the pecking order?

Any help, please. I've never had a rooster before so I'm not sure what to do.

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I've posted my issue on a thread called "Aggressive Rooster attacked aggressive Hen." I'm not sure if this is the same situation, as my hen is always fairly dominant and challenges the rooster. But she's pretty beat up (she still has her eye- so not like OP). I've not seen any sign of him being aggressive like this with any of the other hens. He is a vigorous mater and one of the hens is showing some feather loss on her back and the back of her head, but not any injuries per se.

I have my old girl down in the garage to allow her to heal from her wounds, but I'm not sure if my guy needs to be culled, or if he's just trying to just establish his position at the top of the pecking order?

Any help, please. I've never had a rooster before so I'm not sure what to do.
I personally wouldn't keep a rooster that injures hens. Those that are too rough may outgrow some behaviors if removed and penned separately for some time. Most roosters aren't fully mature until 2-3 years.

I'd rather remove the rooster than the hens. A good rooster woos the hens. He doesn't dominate them. Those are just bully roosters.

I personally wouldn't keep a rooster that injures hens. Those that are too rough may outgrow some behaviors if removed and penned separately for some time. Most roosters aren't fully mature until 2-3 years.

I'd rather remove the rooster than the hens. A good rooster woos the hens. He doesn't dominate them. Those are just bully roosters.
Thank you. I'm afraid that's what I'm going to have to do.

Greetings lynx04,

I have always had roosters of many different breeds. I enjoy having have at least one on the property. However, I agree with oldhenlikesdogs, "I'd rather remove the rooster than the hens". And I also agree that a rooster is not fully mature until they are 2 years old. I have never allowed cockerels in with the hens.

I always put my hens above my roosters. Roosters must be managed. Some require very little management, others require more. You don't have to cull the rooster if you enjoy his presence in the flock and he is good otherwise. Rooster management can be anything from simply tossing him out of the pen at dawn, to putting him in another pen to live. I rotate free range time between my hens and roosters. My roosters never have access to my hens. That is because I currently have a very small flock of five hens, and 3 roosters.

As far as bad roosters, it is possible for a rooster to have a dislike towards a certain hen, and visa versa. But, it is never acceptable for a rooster to purposely injure a hen, or inflict any kind of aggression towards the hens. However, it is normal for a hen to lose back feathers from being over mated. That is not aggression on the part of the rooster. The poor girl is just preferred for what ever reason. You can put a hen saddle on her to protect her, if you keep the rooster in with the hens.
Flock montage Oct 2019.jpg

I hope I have been helpful.

God's blessings to you and your flock. :frow

Greetings lynx04,

I have always had roosters of many different breeds. I enjoy having have at least one on the property. However, I agree with oldhenlikesdogs, "I'd rather remove the rooster than the hens". And I also agree that a rooster is not fully mature until they are 2 years old. I have never allowed cockerels in with the hens.

I always put my hens above my roosters. Roosters must be managed. Some require very little management, others require more. You don't have to cull the rooster if you enjoy his presence in the flock and he is good otherwise. Rooster management can be anything from simply tossing him out of the pen at dawn, to putting him in another pen to live. I rotate free range time between my hens and roosters. My roosters never have access to my hens. That is because I currently have a very small flock of five hens, and 3 roosters.

As far as bad roosters, it is possible for a rooster to have a dislike towards a certain hen, and visa versa. But, it is never acceptable for a rooster to purposely injure a hen, or inflict any kind of aggression towards the hens. However, it is normal for a hen to lose back feathers from being over mated. That is not aggression on the part of the rooster. The poor girl is just preferred for what ever reason. You can put a hen saddle on her to protect her, if you keep the rooster in with the hens.
View attachment 2521939
I hope I have been helpful.

God's blessings to you and your flock. :frow
Thank you. You have. I'll have to discuss with my husband about isolating the rooster from the hens. I have my hands full as is with all the critters on my property and I just think this will be too much. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him. I was in his pen all day, and he was fine with me and my neighbor (we build a small coop for him to sleep in).

Thank you. You have. I'll have to discuss with my husband about isolating the rooster from the hens. I have my hands full as is with all the critters on my property and I just think this will be too much. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him. I was in his pen all day, and he was fine with me and my neighbor (we build a small coop for him to sleep in).
Yes, once you feel that a rooster is going to be too much for you to handle, the best thing would be to re-home him. I hear you. :)

Back
Top Bottom