Please post pictures of your roost

You can see my roosts at www.HenCam.com. The one on the "inside cam" is attached to the wall with hinges. I simply lift it up to clean underneath. The roosts on "chick cam" are easy and cheap - they're wooden ladders. You should have 6 inches of roost space per bird. Chickens also like to have a choice of height. I have bantams and standard hens and they all do fine on the round roosts. In the past I've used branches, which gives them a variety. I still use branches for outside roosts.

900x900px-LL-9fe5b9a1_230_installed_roosts.jpeg

2x4's with big side up.

Roosts are dowel rods bought at local hardwars store. Going to need to put larger circumference rods on by mid summer as the birds mature. I just feel that a round roost is more natural than a 2x4...sorry to everyone out there that has 2x4's. I would think it would be hard on the birds feet. Mean no offense.Its not the fanciest around but it works. Set it up to swing up when cleaning. So far its worked out pretty good.

I find when chickens roost and then relax to sleep, their feet relax and they lean to one side of their keel. Like when you have a young chick in your hand, it relaxes, and you don't feel their toes gripping on to your palm anymore.

However, when my cockatiel or parakeet falls asleep on my hand or shoulder, you feel the one foot they use to stand on clench up and kind of lock into place.

So that's just my justification in using flatter surfaces for ground dwelling birds to roost on, and not bird perch systems. Plus, it can get cold here, so if their toes are under their feathers, there is a lower risk of frost bite.

Back
Top Bottom