Please sex my silkies!

cluckadoddledoo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012

This first one puts up good defense against the Sussex who is an out and out bully! Male or female? What colour also, its much lighter in colour to the gold one.

And what about the colour of this one? & male of female?

Male or female?

Male or female?

TIA :)

They all look like hens to me, look at there crown, is it kind of flat or really bumpy and sticking up a little? The first one looks like a buff, but I can see some smut on her tail. Smut is black feathers. The second one is a patridge, then of course a white one and then another buff. Girls have Pom Poms on the top of there heads, Roosters will grow about 2 or three feathers that will go towards there back on there heads. Not long enough to reach there backs, don't get me wrong. LOL.. But They all have Pom Poms on there heads so i would say hens. How old are they? The first picture surely has some cockiness to her. Another way to tell is girls are smaller then the boys. Also look for the Spur, they look old enough to be developing a spur if they are roosters. But they all look like girls to me..

Wait I may be wrong about the first one, I think I can see a small stub on the leg. Unless it's the picture, but i beleive I can see a very small spur appearing. Check out the legs and see if you can see the spur, it's very small and looks like it's just starting to come out. If not then hen. it won't let me blow up the picture to get a closer look....

Thanks thats a great help!! They have all been sold as hens so thats good to know, was hoping the brownish one would be partridge, pleased to have that confirmed as well :)

See if this pic shows the legs better it should be bigger! Thes a small pimple on the inside of the leg but nothing at the back..

If you right mouse click view image, you can then zoom in.. :)

Last edited:
Thanks thats a great help!! They have all been sold as hens so thats good to know, was hoping the brownish one would be partridge, pleased to have that confirmed as well :)

See if this pic shows the legs better it should be bigger! Thes a small pimple on the inside of the leg but nothing at the back..

If you right mouse click view image, you can then zoom in.. :)
Yeh it sure looks like a pimple, I wonder if the other leg has one, if so Well we know the answer to that mystery.. LOL As he get's a little older he'll get the 2 or 3 very long feathers on the top. I tried to zoom but it didn't give me the option. Perhaps that would explain the cockiness.LOL...

close up of feet.. looks like a spur.. ??? also read the following and think its safe to say s(he) ticks all the boxes...

while the male crest will have streamer-type feathers and will look more swept-back. All the others have poppoms but this one looks longer behind with more feathering swept backwards..

In males the wattle will be more pronounced and slightly rounded. Definitely more developed than the others....

Examine the feathers on the hackles, saddle and tail. Male feathers in those areas will be more pointed and harder then the usual soft, fluffy down.. The tail feathers are harder like normal feathers in this area..

Would definitely explain why s(he) will not back down to the bigger hens..

close up of feet.. looks like a spur.. ??? also read the following and think its safe to say s(he) ticks all the boxes...

while the male crest will have streamer-type feathers and will look more swept-back. All the others have poppoms but this one looks longer behind with more feathering swept backwards..

In males the wattle will be more pronounced and slightly rounded. Definitely more developed than the others....

Examine the feathers on the hackles, saddle and tail. Male feathers in those areas will be more pointed and harder then the usual soft, fluffy down.. The tail feathers are harder like normal feathers in this area..

Would definitely explain why s(he) will not back down to the bigger hens..

Hens can grow spurs. This seems to be a hen. Sometimes when there is no roo, the top hen will sometimes crow or even grow spurs, could also be genetics to.

First of all, those are gorgeous silkies.
Second, how old are they?
They all look like hens, but the partridge is slightly roo looking to me.

If she's pretty young, she may have streamers developing. If she's older, then I'm wrong!

Back
Top Bottom