Please show me your hot weather coops

Pics

fledgling

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Keystone Heights, FL
We live in North Florida. All of the coop designs I have seen are to help chickens make it through the cold winter. We have, maybe, 7-8 days per year with temps less than 32 degrees. And only at night. What we need is a coop design with more roof and more wire and less wood. Please show me yours!
big_smile.png

Here in Central Florida a few freezing nights is not the problem, the 98 degree weather with humidity plus is our problem for sure. My coop is a simple design but definitely built for heat, shade with lots of ventilation. When the wind is blowing cold we simply add a tarp to the roosting areas and they are happy!

photo[2] - Copy.JPG
It gets very hot and humid here in the summer, so it’s hit even in the shade. In addition to my coop being under a big oak three, it is situated to catch the cross breeze. Once my girls are panting even at night I add the fan and sometimes a frozen water bottle hung in front of the fan, all at perch level.
76D88BD3-2E86-4BB0-86E1-85E90C9A74D3.jpeg

Attachments

• C97520C6-0932-445C-A4C7-116B35BA4821.jpeg
    C97520C6-0932-445C-A4C7-116B35BA4821.jpeg
    892.6 KB · Views: 16
  • C3DC70E5-017A-4C18-916F-54F894FC385D.jpeg
    C3DC70E5-017A-4C18-916F-54F894FC385D.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 15
  • BD54FA89-5AF8-44A7-B1A8-8E763E259222.jpeg
    BD54FA89-5AF8-44A7-B1A8-8E763E259222.jpeg
    892.6 KB · Views: 18
i live on the coast of south carolina...hot and humid here...i started out with cattle panels made into a hoop house covered with a tarp...quickly moved to a larger tarp which is not in this pic but you get an idea...cattle panels were were held in ground using rebar...half was used for chickens the other half was used to mature geese, ducks, and peafowl until they could be let out year round...chickens free ranged during the day and went into the pen at night...i used kitty litter houses for nesting boxes...my chickens seem to love them...

DSCN2224.jpg

i saw this garden/coop design on the internet and we wanted to try this and it has worked wonderfully...concrete floor gets hosed out as there is 2" between floor and sidewalls...chickens get moved from one side to the other every season and garden in the plot they were on...kitty litter houses again for nest boxes...black weed barrier used to go around inside top area under the roof which is polycarbonate roofing...

084.jpg

086.jpg

good luck on your coop! virginia

ps...oh, we have now added another platform over first nest boxes for another group so there are 8 nest boxes total...2 over 2 sorry i don't have a pic of that..

here is a pic of the summer garden area after chickens had it for the winter...

hangingtomatoes007.jpg

Last edited:
Here are pics of my hot weather coop. I'm from East Texas where it is hot & humid. I wanted something that offered plenty of air flow. Click on the "my coop" link in my avatar to see the complete transformation.

The coop/run is 10' x 20'. The outside run will be 20' x 20'. I put in a raised garden at the end of the coop. It help with shading. I plan on putting raised bed along the south end of the run to help with shading.

Last edited:
I was able to finally get one of my roof sections hinged and props hung. Not I have the ability to raise the roof, allowing more ventilation to the roosting area on these hot summer nights in Arizona

I have also added to the nest box on the right hand side an extra door for access to the top nest boxes. There are four nest boxes there and the lower door opens downward by pulling on the horse shoe handle, and the upper door lifts upward. I still need to paint the trim. A little at a time!

27085_img_9268.jpg

I have a question I haven't seen on here yet. I live in West Texas, in the middle of cotton farm country, near Lubbock. When the wind blows, we get dust storms so bad you can't see 10 feet in front of you when driving. They can last a day or 2.

Will this bother the chickens? I am planning a 3 sided coop, with a large door that stays open most of the time, and I can swing shut when it gets really cold. I plan on covering the eaves with HW cloth for ventilation, and adding some windows in the coop area for summer ventilation. It is usually in the triple digits most of the summer.

This is similar to what I plan on doing. It's not my coop, but whoever built it did a great job and gave me some good ideas.

Back
Top Bottom