Please show me your hot weather coops

Not near as nice and fancy as Tad's, but it does the job. Since we live in the desert, we built a 3 sided coop under shade trees and made the run secure. The chickens have access to the run 24/7.

19548_cake_decorating_009.jpg

I too want to thank you and your husband for all you did.

I am also sending pics of our Houston, TX (read hot and humid) coop and run.
It works good in keeping the birds very well breezed.

This is the front
IMG_1516.jpg

This is the side
IMG_1515.jpg

This is the back of the coop, I am standing in the run. The two doors on the top is where we get the eggs.
IMG_1738.jpg

This is inside
11732_img_1511.jpg

Hope it gives you some ideas.

Kycklingmamma

Thanks, guys.

Here's mine, although I have my "storm windows' on in the first pic. It is a convertedcattle feeder. I also had to get a few more chickens (shockeroo???), so there is another 6' x 6' run section off the back, so there's 6' x 18' altogether now.. Under the tarp is chain link kennel panels with different size PVC pipe so the rain rolls off (larger to smaller diameter). There is hardware cloth on the bottom 3 feet, and chicken wire all over the rest because the dang squirrels kept getting in.

7782_img_0351.jpg

7782_img_0038.jpg

7782_img_0348.jpg

Orchidchick

I felt like sharing some progress I've made on my coop - designed with the heat and humidity of North Florida in mind. Despite being a building/construction/woodworking novice (does assembling ikea furniture count?), the coop seems to be structurally sound and solid. I couldn't believe it stood up on it's own. My father gasped in astonishment that the human door opens and closes as intended! As it currently remains a work in progress, I have yet to choose a permanent resting spot. Feel free to scrutinize and adore!! Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Here we go! I should be the poster child for pure diligence...
29630_img00007.jpg

A little later...

29630_img00262.jpg

29630_img00263.jpg

Yesterday evening, in a fit, I removed the solid back panel. I plan on jig-sawing a wide, rectangular window that I'll cover in 1/2" hardware cloth then affix back onto the coop. The other solid wall will also feature a screened vent for air flow/ventilation.

Here we are prior to rear panel removal...

29630_img00266.jpg

I also noticed that my swinging access door to the roosting box area cannot fully open due to the long overhang of the roof. I plan on hinging it across the top instead.

29630_img00265.jpg

29630_img00264.jpg

Two steps forward, one step back. It's all fine with me.

Last edited:

We used this as a brooder, but it also very comfortably houses 3 banties. Also have an A-Frame, will have to search for picture. We are located just north of Tampa, FL. Mostly humid, winters do drop below freezing somewhat often but certainly does not linger. We also have another dresser, with similar concept. Since these pictures were taken they have further evolved. We now use hardware cloth religiously. They are protected from the elements from the roof of a shed. Will update pictures and post them tomorrow.

Had to be renovated.

Same Concept. Needs to be laid on its back for more floor space.

I guess I'll share my coop! I spent the majority of last summer building it with my DH. We are in the hot and humid South. Everything we did was to maximize available shade and ventilation. I can't believe I don't have any finished pictures, but you get the idea here. My DH was feeling proud of himself.

It's 6x12. I was afraid it was too big at the time BUT now considering expansion. LOL! We originally planned on painting the coop barn red with white trim; however, the first red painted board was so hot that we decided to invert the colors. Helps with heat. My coop is usually around 80* inside no matter how blazing it feels outside. I do keep a thermometer in there as well.

Here, you can see the left side panel between the coop and run is open above. Great ventilation but not drafty. It is covered with hardware cloth though.

The inside of the coop box. Both windows, the one here, and the one in the first pic are covered with hardware cloth. We also made plexi inserts that can be added as storm windows, but they are usually open.

This is my hot weather coop. My chickens would cook in a coop with walls. I also have a fan the runs 24/7 in the summer that blows in one side and out the other side. I built panels to cover the sides in the winter. Here's the coop and winter panels.

I live in North Florida and my coop is is 4x8 with one side all hardware cloth. It is within the 8x24 run that is covered with insulated metal roof panels and is under a large oak tree for added shade. I havent experienced a summer yet with it but expect them to be as comfortable as possible.

Back
Top Bottom