Please talk to me about this Barnevelder (?) Cockerel (?)

Attachments

• k3.jpg
    k3.jpg
    863.5 KB · Views: 15
  • k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Definitely Wyandotte x Barnevelder crosses. My first thought when I saw the comb was that a BLRW fathered the chicks or vice versa. Did you reach out to the breeder at all?

Definitely Wyandotte x Barnevelder crosses. My first thought when I saw the comb was that a BLRW fathered the chicks or vice versa. Did you reach out to the breeder at all?
No, I didn't reach out to the breeder. Mostly b/c its a big island, but very small community; I don't want to make any ripples. I did elect not to order from them again and instead import from Greenfire Farms to build the rest my core flock though.

5 of the 7 roos were definitely hybrids. Two I am hopeful are real Barnies though. 2 of 5 hens have good double lacing all over, no red leakage, straight combs, etc.

May I ask- does this roo look like a pure Barnie or another hybrid to you? He does have some leaky red...

Edit: I think this may be #10 or #11 from the original pictures.

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    941.2 KB · Views: 16
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    993.3 KB · Views: 14
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • B4.jpg
    B4.jpg
    969.1 KB · Views: 12
  • B5.jpg
    B5.jpg
    726.3 KB · Views: 12
  • B6.jpg
    B6.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
He looks pure Barnevelder to me, despite the leakage. I only ever had the gold variety, so I'm not 100% if that's normal in the silver variety.

Attachments

• Barnevelder Flock 1.jpg
    Barnevelder Flock 1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Barnevelder Flock.jpg
    Barnevelder Flock.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Barnevelder Rooster 1.jpg
    Barnevelder Rooster 1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Barnevelder Rooster.jpg
    Barnevelder Rooster.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 15
He looks pure Barnevelder to me, despite the leakage. I only ever had the gold variety, so I'm not 100% if that's normal in the silver variety.
Awesome, thank you! I hope to breed more, trying combinations of the 2 pure hens and roos. I'll look to bring in some new blood from GFF, or other, in the future too.

The gold variety is quite beautiful as well!

No, I didn't reach out to the breeder. Mostly b/c its a big island, but very small community; I don't want to make any ripples. I did elect not to order from them again and instead import from Greenfire Farms to build the rest my core flock though.

5 of the 7 roos were definitely hybrids. Two I am hopeful are real Barnies though. 2 of 5 hens have good double lacing all over, no red leakage, straight combs, etc.

May I ask- does this roo look like a pure Barnie or another hybrid to you? He does have some leaky red...

Edit: I think this may be #10 or #11 from the original pictures.
I agree that he looks like a pure barnevelder, but possibly mixed variety (silver laced x double laced?) meaning he could have a copy of the gold gene. Or it could just be autosomal red.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom