Plymouth Rock Bantams Discussion Thread

What variety of Plymouth Rock Bantam do you own?

• Buff

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Barred

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • Black

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Blue

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Columbian

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Partridge

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Silver Pencilled

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • White

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • Other ABA recognized color

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Project Colors (Non-SOP)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Large Fowl Plymouth Rocks

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters
ok - well my Pencilled Rock bantams I hatched just before Easter are nearly 7 weeks old. Only 3 hatched out of 6, but one didn't make it past the first day.
The two survivors are doing well, ended up getting a roo and pullet.

Sorry you didn't get more chicks but at least you have a pair. I've had many shipped eggs that ended up with only 2. It gives you a starting point.

Anyone have blue or black?

Last edited:
Thank you Gootziecat. I didn't have them shipped though, but luckily they were given to me as they lady I got them from wanted to test the fertility of her new rooster, and heard I had a broody. I put the others not hatching down to fertility issues.

I hope to hatch out some more next year, much to the dismay of my husband no doubt. He does not share the same love of poultry keeping as I do.

I think the barred rock chicks we bought around 8 weeks ago are bantams. We have a flock of 6 mixed birds that are three weeks older but much larger then the BR. Sadly we lost one of the two BR to our dog a few days ago. But the remaining girl is as nice as they come. Stands about 10" tall at 8 weeks...I'm trying to upload some pics but it's not working out.

Regards;
Randy T

Hello:

I'm new to BYC's forums, and found myself in this section after posting a question about bantam barred PRs and who to find who has champion SQ stock. I joined because I saw that juliechick has some that fit what I'm looking for, and I'm trying to get into contact with her in the hope of purchasing chicks or hatching eggs. I have only one high-quality rooster who is 3 years old and very fertile. He's been crossing himself with my LF australorps, barred PRs, and a few other mutts, so I get birds that are mid-sized if they're male with his comb and wattle shape, and mixed coloration, but LF-size for hens. Obviously this is not what I want, but I let him have his girls since he's a sweetie and doesn't tear them up like my LF PR rooster.

Anyway, if anyone here has proven champion SQ bantam barred PRs, I'm a very motivated buyer for eggs or chicks as my oldest son will be 8 for the coming spring/summer seasons next year for 4H and youth exhibition in area fairs and poultry shows. I wanted to focus on bantams since it appears they're hard to find for high show-quality, and that they're easier to handle in smaller spaces than my LF utility barred PRs. I would love to get into SQ LF barred PRs, but I want to wait until next year when I have several runs built for several flocks of these.

I appreciate anyone that helps, and I'm a HUGE fan of browsing your groups for medical and care knowledge of birds in general.

Best regards,

njsBirds ;)

welcome-byc.gif
njsBirds. Hopefully someone here can help you out

Back
Top Bottom