Plymouth Rock thread!

My first rooster of standard breed was a barred rock, and he took until six months old to figure things out. Very slow to develop in that sense, but once he did, watch out! He's a ladies man
love.gif
This is our first standard breed rooster as well. As far as watching out... so I learned later on in the day today. Now we can't keep him off the hens!
gig.gif
He went from boy to man in just a few hours!

This is our first standard breed rooster as well. As far as watching out... so I learned later on in the day today. Now we can't keep him off the hens! :gig He went from boy to man in just a few hours! 
As soon as they crow, they seem to start going after ladies within minutes! It's happened the same way every time so far. - Unless of course they crow really early. I'm talking the normal amount of time it takes a rooster to crow - 4 months - 6 months or there around. My youngest ever to crow was 12 weeks old.

As soon as they crow, they seem to start going after ladies within minutes! It's happened the same way every time so far. - Unless of course they crow really early. I'm talking the normal amount of time it takes a rooster to crow - 4 months - 6 months or there around. My youngest ever to crow was 12 weeks old.
We had some of different breeds crow at that age.

But not this guy! Here's another picture of "big poppa". He is going to be a big boy, too! He's a month younger than all of our other chickens and he has surpassed them by all standards. I just hope that he stays nice. I dread having a mean roo.

We had some of different breeds crow at that age. But not this guy! Here's another picture of "big poppa". He is going to be a big boy, too! He's a month younger than all of our other chickens and he has surpassed them by all standards. I just hope that he stays nice. I dread having a mean roo.
How does his crow sound? This is my first Barred Rock boy crowing. I was not told his age when I got him, but judging by the growth of my other barred boys, he was about 8 weeks, and started crowing at 4 months old, not 6 like I said previously. Whoops! Jagger crowed really badly at first. My two new barred boys that are crowing sound like they've been doing it years! I have only two roosters that actually started crowing rather pathetically. I plan to keep one of the boys above for breeding. Jagger is my free range flock rooster. Though everyone free ranges right now, I plan to separate them come breeding season. I would say Jagger is bigger then the standard for barred rocks. He is HUGE!
_MG_6798.jpg
The girls just crowd around him.

Rachel

Your sppr pullets and cockerals look normal to me. In fact, they look great!

I wouldn't worry about the way they hold their tails. Probably too hot to be showing off their plumage. It takes some effort to look perky all the time. If there is a larger rooster or even large hens around them, they are probably being wise not to draw attention to themselves.When the time is right for them to parade their "stuff" they'll be standing tall and showing off their beautiful tail feathers.

By the way, we ate an older sppr rooster last week (I kept three roosters from last year.) Cooked it slow with 1/2 bottle red wine . . . delicious! . . . tender!
thumbsup.gif

That's cute! I will admit that ours sounds better than that, which was surprising since he is only starting. He gets 3-4 separate little noises into one crow but it's still not whole.
I'll try to get a video of him tomorrow!

Rachel

Your sppr pullets and cockerals look normal to me. In fact, they look great!
By the way, we ate an older sppr rooster last week (I kept three roosters from last year.) Cooked it slow with 1/2 bottle red wine . . . delicious! . . . tender!
thumbsup.gif
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds good!

Okay thanks, yep there is both a Dominate Roo and Hen they are with. The Hen is older by a year and the roo is BIG so those two run the yard.
this is the roo, he is Barnevelder X Barred Plymouth Rock, he REALLY took after the Barnie side, other than the barring and he is HUGE.

aoxa, that video of your roo is great. It's sooo funny how he talks back to you after you say that his crow is pathetic. hahahahha
Thanks! He has improved quite a bit since! :D He sure is loud though.. Very.. very.. very loud. But his temperament is worth passing on in my opinion. I breed him to my cochin hen to produce this really large cross. The hens are really sweet and should be great incubators :p, and the boys will be used for meat.
_MG_2827.jpg
11 weeks old

Back
Top Bottom