Plymouth Rock thread!

Yep, I knew she would lay earlier age wise, I guess I just figured the SPRs would start to lay, then a few weeks later her. I never really "added" up the time together and to realize they might actually start at the same time, time wise, just not age wise. I enjoy having both for different reasons
big_smile.png

Well i posted before about this but here we go again. I'm desperate to find a br rooster between 5&6 werks old. I'm in north east Ohio. Any help would be appreciated.you will also make help make my little girl not hate our dog as much. Our hens are happy and safe in the finished coop and run now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Craigslist. A quick search finds some BR roosters available for as little as $5. Hatched in March, the ad said. That was just Youngstown. There are other NE Ohio categories, I'm sure. Use Search Tempest to search multiple Craigs listings in your area. You can determine key words, and 50, 100, 200 miles from zip, etc.

If you need a specific age, which seems to be the case, to replace a lost chick, or for whatever reason, that's going to be a taller order.

Thanks just don't think a older rooster would do well with 6wk old chicks. New to all of this. Should i wait till my hens are older to replace the roo? Again I'm new , and learning as I go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If you find a roo that is about the same age go for it! Just keep checking the listings till either you find the one your looking for or your hens are big enough to be able to handle a full grown roo.

I myself would shoot for about 18wks or so (gives them time to get to know him before they start laying) I had the same issue. I got a group of day olds and turned out one was a roo. I was soo excited because I usually don't get lucky like that. Sadly when he was just a few weeks old he decided to try and fly or something, but ended up drowning in the duck pool :( I looked and looked but found nothing in my area around the same age as my girls. My friend down the road put 8 eggs in her bator for me hoping we'd get a few barred out of it. I have 6 chicks that will be 3wks in a few days and to my luck again 2 barred boys!! Sorry kinda of went rambling on there for a moment. Back to topic I have a scale and I weigh my girls every so often, at about 2.5lbs or so they were big enough that I feel that they could handle a grown roo - especially since there are a lot more of them than just him. Just make sure you get as friendly a roo as you can
smile.png

I'm smothering my two boys with love so that way I have a shot at keeping them both (already have 4 Japanese Bantam roos 1 of which might need to go to the dinner table if he keeps trying to start fights with the other boys)

Back
Top Bottom