Plymouth Rock thread!

I was looking over the birds in the growout pens and found my FIRST BLUE PARTRIDGE PULLET! She is so Pretty that blue bleeding through that red I can't wait till she grows up! 4 crosses but I can finally see the results!
woot.gif
I will get pics this week..... I hope.

I did a project with some Del females and a RIR male to see what the chicks would hatch out like. The females looked just like the RIR father and the males like the Del mothers. I thought the females would look more like Red Sex-Links with some white on them and their tails but they didn't have any white at all and all of the females looked like the RIR father. The Dels were definitely very calm birds.

That chicks would could be sexed at birth was already known. However a Del roo over RIR hens yields all of the Delaware patterned chicks.

I've considered a Del cross with a New Hampshire for sex linked chicks and perhaps to increase size in my Delaware.

Who has the best New Hampshires?

You are correct. A friend of mine did the Del male over the RIR females and all of the chicks looked like Dels. Now if you were to breed those back to Dels would you get any RIR looking chicks in the next generation?

I don't know, but have wondered if the cross could be used to improve the type in Delawares.

I'm not sure if I'd have the heart to cull all those chicks born to a NH/Delaware cross. It sure would be good to know which are hens right from the get go.

cmom Delaware over RIR hens will give you pullets pure for silver . Take those pullets back to Delaware and no reds . The males from the first cross will carry both silver and gold/red .

Would it be good to hatch Fall chicks? I have some broody hens. I would most likely order eggs of BR's or NH's.

I don't personally but a friend of mine does every year. I guess it depends if you have a place to keep them warm if you should get a cold spell but likely by that time they may be feathered out enough to handle the cool.

I don't personally but a friend of mine does every year. I guess it depends if you have a place to keep them warm if you should get a cold spell but likely by that time they may be feathered out enough to handle the cool.
I have a half hoop with a light in it and would only do so under a broody. The light would be a fall back.

Still I'm torn because when DW 's treatments are over we'd like to take a trip south.

We skyped with DD and she's having their second baby. Too our others in FL keep asking to see us.

I'd have to leave the chickens or get rid of them all.

The thing is you can't keep just a few hens cuz one predator can wipe you out or any sickness. This is why I'm struggling cuz I only kept on BR roo and now have none. I've learned to hatch more often each year.

Quote: I was in the same boat. My DH is from Massachusetts and wanted to go up for a vacation this summer. I had a fellow that used to take care of the birds when I went away but he passed away. I checked with some people who farm sit and they wanted $300. a week. We were planning on being gone for 3 weeks, so with the cost of the farm sitter and feed it would have been around $1200. or more, so I decided to stay home but DH went up with some friends for a couple of weeks. We are elderly and several of our friends are gone now so this was kind of a last chance for DH to see some of his buddies. Every now and then we hear that this one has passed or that one has passed and before you know it it will be us.

Just curious where in Florida? We are having our fall show in October. If you are in the area and can, stop by and say Hi. We will be in the back left corner of the auditorium next to the stage selling poultry and livestock supplies and cages. If you happen to come, just ask anyone as we always set up in the same place. I usually have a BYC banner and our farm banner. I will be showing some of my Heritage RIR and RIW.

Central Florida Poultry Breeders Association Show, Inverness, FL.
Saturday, October 25th, 2014
9:00 AM TO 4:00 PM
Citrus County Fairgrounds
3600 South Florida Ave.
Inverness, Florida
Check in begins at 6am and the show starts at 9am.
---> MAP
(U.S. Highway 41 South - 1.5 miles south of the intersection of U.S. highways 44 & 41)

Alieda

Hello everyone! Poultry Show next month if anyone is in the area.

District Meets:
American Bantam Club
American Brahma Club
State Meets:
American Poultry Association
American Langshan Club
American Silkie Bantam Club
Nankin Club of America
Sebright Club of America
Special Meets:
Ameraucana Breeders Club
Belgian D’Anver Club
National Call Breeders of America
Cochins International
International Waterfowl Fanciers Association
Old English Game Bantam Club
Plymouth Rock Fanciers Club of America
Wyandotte Breeders Club

Premium book is ready to be downloaded. Go to https://lebanonpoultryfanciers.wordpress.com/

Back
Top Bottom