Plymouth Rock thread!

Yes, my hen is lightly debeaked (she was like that when I bought her), but she doesn't have any problems to eat. She's even my hen who eats the most. Of course, if I had the choice, I wouldn't have debeaked her, but like I said, I bought her that way and I love her that way...
By the way, I think she laid her first egg this morning! It was way smaller and darker than my mixed farmer hen's eggs, and my other layer is an ameraucana, so the egg was probably hers...
I'll post a pic of it soon.

I just picked up a beautiful SLP hen who was just at POL. She layed for me for 3 weeks only missing 1-2 days. And now she is broody. This is my first Rock, do folks tend to find them overly broody? Because she went broody hard and fast!!! And is not breaking easily!! I did want a broody just not in mid November!!!! Sigh!!!

I just picked up a beautiful SLP hen who was just at POL. She layed for me for 3 weeks only missing 1-2 days. And now she is broody. This is my first Rock, do folks tend to find them overly broody? Because she went broody hard and fast!!! And is not breaking easily!! I did want a broody just not in mid November!!!! Sigh!!!

And when I say hard and fast I mean fine on Sunday, free ranging with everyone then pulled out all of her chest feathers YESTERDAY and now is broodzilla today!!!
What is a SLP? I am not familiar with that acronym.

I don't find my Rocks to be especially broody. I don't let chicken hatch chicks I just can't accommodate all the broodies. Just don't let her have eggs she will give up eventually. I have broken them a few ways. once I just took her out of the nest and put her out front in the run and that broke her. Sometimes I just move them to a cage or another pen. both of those usually work right off. I have never moved a broody that she didn't give up ASAP. New roos will usually do that. LOL

SLP - Silver Laced Pencil Rock

I put her in a cage for 3 days…straight back to the nest.

I moved her to a box to keep her from scaring everyone else…right back to the nest.

I threw her outside for a few days in a row…nest.

She is STUBBORN!! The kicker is that she isn't even SITTING on any eggs?!?! And tomorrow will be 11degrees. Not exactly "hatching" weather. LOL

And she is a demon now inside the coop and out!! I may have to go buy a metal cage and try that next. Or I may just give up and let her hatch out a few babies. If she's as protective with the babies as she is now…God help any predator that tries to get to them. YIKES!

I moved her to a box to keep her from scaring everyone else…right back to the nest.

She is STUBBORN!! The kicker is that she isn't even SITTING on any eggs?!?! And tomorrow will be 11degrees. Not exactly "hatching" weather. LOL

And she is a demon now inside the coop and out!! I may have to go buy a metal cage and try that next. Or I may just give up and let her hatch out a few babies. If she's as protective with the babies as she is now…God help any predator that tries to get to them. YIKES!
When I have a girl go broody that I don't want to be broody, I usually put her in a cage for at least a week and generally that breaks them but every once in awhile I have to put one back in a cage for a few more days. Usually after the second time they aren't broody anymore. I don't want them broody especially this time of year. Just my opinion.

I have never hard of that color in Rocks. Do you mean silver penciled plymouth rocks?

This is a SL Wyandotte does she look like this?

Or does she look like this a Penciled Rock pullet.

Hi everyone im looking for someone who breeds black Rock bantams? Or blue rock bantams ? Does anyone know who is currently breeding them?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom