Plymouth Rock thread!

He is supposedly 3 1/2 months !! We weighed him and he was ten pounds !!! We are an organic and free range farm.... He doesn't seem to fit the bill. :/ all the other chickens (even breeds known to be friendly and docile) are picking him mercilessly and we have had to separate him from the whole flock. He doesn't seem to have a function or good quality of life :/. He just lays around, all of our others are very healthy, happy and normal.

He is supposedly 3 1/2 months !! We weighed him and he was ten pounds !!! We are an organic and free range farm.... He doesn't seem to fit the bill.
hmm.png
all the other chickens (even breeds known to be friendly and docile) are picking him mercilessly and we have had to separate him from the whole flock. He doesn't seem to have a function or good quality of life
hmm.png
. He just lays around, all of our others are very healthy, happy and normal.
He is very likely a CX (Cornish x Rock). Those are meat birds made specific for fast large growth. These types should be processed at around 8-10 weeks of age. They are not meant to live much longer past that, 3.5months is roughly 14 or 15weeks, that is really pushing it. Once they get too large they start having leg problems and eventually cant walk or dont walk well, many will end up having heart attacks or heart failure. Post a few pics just to be certain. If he is a CX you need to really consider processing him soon or finding someone that can help processes him. I wish you luck.

You're very wonderful and helpful and I believe you're totally right I'm going to go out in the yard now and take some more pictures.... I am a beginner so I'm only going off of what I have read and what you fine folks tell me. This morning I had noted the legs and how much less he moved and how much sadder he seems and I had said that I felt I needed to cull him for his own good. I appreciate you guys taking time out of your day to help me. :) i'll post some more pictures here soon

Back
Top Bottom