Plymouth Rock thread!

Here is the results on my 21 Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock hatching eggs I received from Danny Padgett.

On 8/29/13 I picked the eggs up from the post office that morning.

On 8/30/13 I placed the 21 eggs in the incubator.

On 9/8/13 "Day 10" I removed 5 clear eggs which look to be not fertile.

On 9/15/13 "Day 17" I removed 1 egg that look to be half developed. Stop developing around day 13.

On 9/16/13 "Day 18" 15 eggs went into lock down.

On 9/19/13 "Today Day 21" I got 10 chicks out of the incubator. 5 eggs still in incubator with 1 of them pipped. I will run incubator through the day 22 just in case there are any stragglers.

IMG_20130919_192334_zps95fabd8f.jpg

IMG_20130919_192342_zpsfd310b14.jpg

I am very pleased with the results I got. :)

Here is the results on my 21 Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock hatching eggs I received from Danny Padgett.

On 8/29/13 I picked the eggs up from the post office that morning.

On 8/30/13 I placed the 21 eggs in the incubator.

On 9/8/13 "Day 10" I removed 5 clear eggs which look to be not fertile.

On 9/15/13 "Day 17" I removed 1 egg that look to be half developed. Stop developing around day 13.

On 9/16/13 "Day 18" 15 eggs went into lock down.

On 9/19/13 "Today Day 21" I got 10 chicks out of the incubator. 5 eggs still in incubator with 1 of them pipped. I will run incubator through the day 22 just in case there are any stragglers.

IMG_20130919_192334_zps95fabd8f.jpg

IMG_20130919_192342_zpsfd310b14.jpg

I am very pleased with the results I got. :)

are you concerned about the amount of red on them? I ask because I also have silver penciled wyandottes and I KNOW they were recently crossed with partridge and when I get chicks that color I know they are going to have gold/red leakage. I know with the SPW the more silver and black at hatch the better the color will be. I work with the pullets but the roos CANT have any red or cream..if they do I get partridge chicks I don't want.

Last edited:
are you concerned about the amount of red on them? I ask because I also have silver penciled wyandottes and I KNOW they were recently crossed with partridge and when I get chicks that color I know they are going to have gold/red leakage. I know with the SPW the more silver and black at hatch the better the color will be. I work with the pullets but the roos CANT have any red or cream..if they do I get partridge chicks I don't want.

Can you elaborate on the reason/circumstance for the silver penciled/partridge cross? This kind of stuff is very interesting to me, thanks!

just wanted to share my silver penciled pullets and partridge. I had nothing to do with breeding them they are from Dick Horseman birds.

if someone can offer some advice on the partridge color......it should be redder right? how to fix that?

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on the reason/circumstance for the silver penciled/partridge cross? This kind of stuff is very interesting to me, thanks!

The partridge are noted to have better penciling in general so some will cross up the two for that reason and it helps: for example how the breast will be diluted and going silver(bleaching) on the females. The newly instilled partridge will fix at this area but then there you got to deal with that gold gene ol mahagony in there and its a doozie to breed out, if ever. This is what causes the red leakage and brassiness in the SPR males it can cause problems enough to go coo coo for co co puffs.
barnie.gif
LOL

Jeff

Last edited:
I think the reason for the cross was to improve type and penciling. with the wyandotte the SPW are super super rare in bantams so it was to preserve them so they could breed forward. sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I personally would not want to do that first round of culling. I would bet you just have to pick the MOST silver and work from there. I think with my SPW it was just a generation or two before I got my birds and was totally surprised at my partridge hatch of chicks. very few have been silver. using a new roo now and hoping for better results this next generation. I would like more silver than partridge.

if my SPR were crossed the red has been culled out I don't see any on my birds.

The partridge are noted to have better penciling in general so some will cross up the two for that reason and it helps: for example how the breast will be diluted and going silver(bleaching) on the females. The newly instilled partridge will fix at this area but then there you got to deal with that gold gene ol mahagony in there and its a doozie to breed out, if ever. This is what causes the red leakage and brassiness in the SPR males it can cause problems enough to go coo coo for co co puffs. 
:barnie  LOL

Jeff

Thankfully my SPR roos look just like my SLW roos in the same pen. the straight combs give them away though.

The partridge are noted to have better penciling in general so some will cross up the two for that reason and it helps: for example how the breast will be diluted and going silver(bleaching) on the females. The newly instilled partridge will fix at this area but then there you got to deal with that gold gene ol mahagony in there and its a doozie to breed out, if ever. This is what causes the red leakage and brassiness in the SPR males it can cause problems enough to go coo coo for co co puffs.
barnie.gif
LOL

Jeff

Thanks ALL for the replies. So Jeff, the partridge rock does carry mahogany? Take a look at this and tell me what you think.

"I don not have any partridge rock but have some silver penciled, so I may very well be wrong on whether they carry Mahogany, but to my recollection they are more brown than red correct." - post #1012 of 'The Rhodebar Thread' page - 102. (sorry don't know how to link?)

Back
Top Bottom