Plymouth Rock thread!

I've got a question for (hopefully) some of you seasoned BYC PR members. I had two silver penciled rock cock birds, from completely unrelated bloodlines. The larger boy (and the boy I'm using) has very "white" white - very crisp & clean looking. He is now almost 3 yrs. old, and still is very white in the white parts of his feathering. The other boy was a year younger, was the beta roo, and his white feathering turned dingy yellow. They both were fed the exact same diet and treated exactly the same - the only difference is that the smaller boy was the beta. Is it possible that the dingy whiteness is simply due to him being of a different bloodline? I ended up culling the smaller/dingy feathered boy as I'm battling size in that breed anyway, and he was a full 2# lighter than my original boy. But, it's really been bothering me about this whole feather color thing, and so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Beta being, roo # 2 in the pecking order? That wouln't make a difference in feather color would it? All of my roos have crisp bright white feathers so I would think it's due to bloodline.

Quote:
Wynette

I am getting some "brassy" colored feathers in the hackle and saddles of my Columbian Rocks. Some more than others. Mine free range daily (weather permitting) and I was told that the sun is the likely cause of it. Where on your SPRs are you seeing the yellow color??

Yard full o' rocks :

Quote:
Wynette

I am getting some "brassy" colored feathers in the hackle and saddles of my Columbian Rocks. Some more than others. Mine free range daily (weather permitting) and I was told that the sun is the likely cause of it. Where on your SPRs are you seeing the yellow color??

Hey, Scott - the areas that should be bright white turned a yellowish - see this pic below? This does not show it (I should have taken a picture before I culled him, but I didn't) - the boy to the far left...I was hanging onto him because he had much yellower shanks than the other boy, which is the boy I'm currently using. But, he was so much lighter, and then the yellowing issue came up, so for those 2 reasons, I culled him:

Groupshot.jpg

Hennypen - yes, beta is in #2 rooster. I only mentioned that because that was the only difference in how they were kept. Both were in my flock of SPPRs. Their pen is a decent size, about 15' x 25', with a coop in the corner. There is a large maple tree outside the pen which puts shade in about 50% of the run. I wonder if maybe #2 boy simply spent more time in the sun?​

7961 - thanks so much! They need lots of work, but I appreciate the nice comment! I'm committed to improving them, but it's a slow go. It's nice to hear good feedback, as it pushes me to work all the harder on them!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I was sold 25 BR chix from cackle hatchery and two turned out to have weird combs. Some people on this site told me that these two are probably crossed with a dominique and that would make a kinda 'in between" comb like mine have. Maybe this is what happened to yours too!
hmm.png

I hatched some chicks out of Halo's BBS eggs and ended up with 2 keepers. I have a splash pullet and a blue cockeral - they are 24 weeks old now. I think they are gorgeous (thanks Kathy!!) but just curious what everyone else thinks. So I thought I would share some pics of them! (pay no attention to the 'other' chickens in the background)

Here they are:

73167_wonky_side3.jpg

73167_wonky_front.jpg

73167_opal_tail.jpg

73167_opal_side.jpg

73167_opal_front.jpg

73167_opal_back.jpg

73167_opal_side3.jpg

73167_opal_-_look.jpg

Back
Top Bottom