Plymouth Rock thread!

So that's what there tails are supposed to look like? How is his type? I am still learning. This is my first show quality pair of barred rocks.

The tail looks fine from the side, but you need to post a pic of the back and top of the bird (from the top down) to really tell...it looks like it may be a little pinched side to side. There is no way to tell if the length of back is correct with just this picture.

Walt

Here are a few pictures. Let me know what you think to color to type.

Good pictures! Pictures don't always tell everything but ,it appears the tail is good for a BPR bantam. Many have no real tails. It could be spread a bit more and it looks as if the back may be a little short....again these are just pictures. To have crisp barring you need every feather to have straight barring and be tipped with black. I detect some "V" shaped barring and some indistinct barring. The "v" barring seems more pronounced in the hackle feathers. It has a notch on the underside of the blade in the comb, but that is not a big deal. There are no perfect birds and I can tear any bird apart.....so bottom line with just pictures to go by....it is a good BR bantam. The strength I can see is the tail and although it is not perfect, it is far better than most. This bird could be very valuable if it throws that tail.

Trim it's beak..the overbite spoils the look of the head.

Walt

Last edited:
Thank you so much! That is exacty what I wanted to know. Are you a judge? I really appreciate it! His tail is full of broken feathers so I am hoping that fills out more. I will work on perfecting the color definitely! I did notice his comb is not perfect either. I didnt post pics of the hen. She isnt in very good condition but her tail is set like the male but her color is better. Dick paired these up perfectly. I am hoping they produce good stock. I feel like buying another pair from a different strain so I can have two separate lines to cross in the future.

Thank you so much! That is exacty what I wanted to know. Are you a judge? I really appreciate it! His tail is full of broken feathers so I am hoping that fills out more. I will work on perfecting the color definitely! I did notice his comb is not perfect either. I didnt post pics of the hen. She isnt in very good condition but her tail is set like the male but her color is better. Dick paired these up perfectly. I am hoping they produce good stock. I feel like buying another pair from a different strain so I can have two separate lines to cross in the future.

Yes he is! I am bookmarking these pages.... GREAT INFO.... must go look at my Good Shepard Barred Roos..... They have no tails yet, hoping that will change since they are only a few months old.

fowlman01, do you think you could critique my Bantam Rock cockerel? I'm worried about his tail. I would like to show him, but I wouldn't want to enter him if I know he isn't good quality. What do you think? In general for the breed, is it better for them to have a flatter tail rather than a large cushion?

fowlman01, do you think you could critique my Bantam Rock cockerel? I'm worried about his tail. I would like to show him, but I wouldn't want to enter him if I know he isn't good quality. What do you think? In general for the breed, is it better for them to have a flatter tail rather than a large cushion?
His tail looks fine. He appears to be good enough to show.

Walt

Thanks
smile.png

Do you think his tail will get bigger/longer as he ages? He is almost a year. What about him do you think could be improved on?

Thanks
smile.png

Do you think his tail will get bigger/longer as he ages? He is almost a year. What about him do you think could be improved on?

His tail will not get bigger or longer at this point. Sometimes they get shorter, but I have never seen Rocks get longer after a year. His back is on the short side or it could just be because of the picture angle. Overall he is a good bird though. He appears to have good width of tail and the width of the tail feathers themselves appear to be very good. He seems to be in an alert pose (stretching a bit) so that throws off some of the angles.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom