Plymouth Rock thread!

His back is very short, I think it's his main fault. I showed him at a pretty large show last weekend and the judge wrote "tail angle" on the coop-card, what does that mean? I didn't get a chance to talk to him after the judging?

Originally Posted by catdaddyfro
Quote:
This guy is 3 months old. Thoughts? He's barred out of a Colombian hen egg.

The dark barring is the result of him only having one copy (allele) of B so he's heterozygous barred or henny colored. Two copies of BB barring which full blood BR males are makes them have a more silver barred look and some what narrower, more crisp, sharper barring then females also, too.
Jeff
You're so smart, Jeff.
smile.png

That explains why he looked more girly (other than comb) when smaller. He was an oops and gets along with the girls better than the male colombians. lol He is BIG. 6 lbs at 4 months. Those colombian genes gave him size.

I have one colombian cockeral that is already 7 pounds and is only 4 months old. It's a BIG bird and still has filling out to do.

His back is very short, I think it's his main fault. I showed him at a pretty large show last weekend and the judge wrote "tail angle" on the coop-card, what does that mean? I didn't get a chance to talk to him after the judging?

His back is too short and the tail angle in this picture is much more than 30 degree's....it is more like 45 degrees which is too much. His underline looks great even though he seems to be leaning forward a bit in this picture. He is in very good condition.

Walt

I just added 4 mature Barred Rocks to my family of 12 chicks. I'm new to chicken, and have been learning from my chicks for the past few weeks. The idea of waiting another 3 months for eggs seemed like too much of a long wait for my husband, so we found ourselves a few Barred Rocks. They were sold as pair, so we got 2 hens and 2 roos.
One rooster is almost twice the size of the other one...I'm guessing the bigger one must be mixed with something else. Anyone have any idea on stuff like that? Just curious...trying to learn more about the breed.

Okay so I have read to page 24 and thought I would do an intro then go back and finish reading. When after a year of researching chickens I fell head over heels in love with the Barnevelder, so I ordered 12 eggs and only 1 hatched, I knew it needed a friend so I ran to tractor supply to get a Buff O, my second choice and they were out of everything excepted a BPR, so I took her. Then feel in love! I kept with my Barnie passion but due to different reasons, I ended up with none that could be breed (in good conscious). So a year later (this spring) I thought, hey I have a good Barnie Roo and BPR that I could breed and KNOW which eggs were hers since they were much lighter than the others, so I started with my first gen of BarneBars or Barredvelders
idunno.gif
At the same time I read about Silver Pinceled Rocks and had to have those also. I received some Silver PR shipped chicks from Dick Hortsman. On the 1st gen BarneBars they come out "sex-linked" boys with a white dot, girls w/o, if I put the X roo over a Barnie hen, the girls should be autosexed for that gen and going forward the gens should be autosexed, but not real sure how the rest works LOL! Anywho, since you guys seems to be open to crosses here are mine

Mom and Dad (remember mom is from Tractor Supply so not the best barring, but super sweet)

Here are their babies, I set a total of 9 eggs got 3 boys and 6 girls (100% hatch rate), wish there was someone in the Austin Area that would want some :), 2 boys pictured are the barred chicks the 3 hens on the right are some of the girls. The girls to the far left are Barnies.

Here is what I am pretty sure is a Silver PR Roo with two Silver PR hens in the background

Here is what I think are 2 Silver PR Hens and 1 Roo, I think I got really luck with the stright run, from the 13 I received, I think only 4 are Roos. There are 4 that seem to be a lot more solid in color, like this one and the one above ( the black girl looking at you is a Barredvelder :)

Here is what I think are 2 Silver PR Hens and 1 Roo, I think I got really luck with the stright run, from the 13 I received, I think only 4 are Roos. There are 4 that seem to be a lot more solid in color, like this one and the one above ( the black girl looking at you is a Barredvelder :)
I think you got it right, looks to me too like 2 pullets and 1 cockerel in the pic. ........stan

Thanks Stan! Also, I was looking at them really close last night, they are about 4 weeks old, should I be able to tell by feathers at this age because a few that have the exact feather pattern as the girls in the above pic, have a comb that is a little bigger. Not quite as big as the boy's comb in the pic but bigger than the girls. However, the other 3 that have a big Comb like that boy, also have feather patterns similar to the boy. So I was hoping that all the ones with the feather patterns like the two above girls are also girls, but is that wishful thinking?

Miss Dru is 8 1/2 weeks old now and turning out just as pretty as her mama, Dottie, I think. She's quite the bossy butt, but then again, she bigger than all the other five chicks I kept out of that huge group of 26, and the only BR to boot.

Back
Top Bottom