Plymouth Rock thread!

Hello aoxa and Rachel

Aoxa, I drove very close to Shediac last week. Spent some time in lower NB. Saw Hopewell Rocks for the first time, the Kingsbrae Garden in St. Andrews, and spent a day at Kings Landing. Great vacation. Back to work tomorrow.

Rachel, sppr hens take their good old time getting ready to lay. They take a long time to mature, and my pullets will probably be at least 6 months old before any start to lay. That is one characteristic that I will try to improve by keeping tabs on the age that each hen starts to lay. Right now, I am just trying to hatch out enough hens to have a decent sized flock, before culling on egg production. I expect this will take many years before I have a flock of about a dozen sppr hens that will lay well consistently. I'm very patient
old.gif
and this will be a retirement project.

Thank you to whomever provided the link to the PR breeders. There must be a few more breeders of spprs in the Maritimes. I just haven't found them yet.

Hello aoxa and Rachel

Aoxa, I drove very close to Shediac last week.  Spent some time in lower NB. Saw Hopewell Rocks for the first time, the Kingsbrae Garden in St. Andrews, and spent a day at Kings Landing.  Great vacation.  Back to work tomorrow.

Rachel, sppr hens take their good old time getting ready to lay.  They take a long time to mature, and my pullets will probably be at least 6 months old before any start to lay. That is one characteristic that I will try to improve by keeping tabs on the age that each hen starts to lay. Right now, I am just trying to hatch out enough hens to have a decent sized flock, before culling on egg production.  I expect this will take many years before I have a flock of about a dozen sppr hens that will lay well consistently.  I'm very patient:old  and this will be a retirement project.

Thank you to whomever provided the link to the PR breeders. There must be a few more breeders of spprs in the Maritimes.  I just haven't found them yet.

http://www.shanisfarm.com/upload/Maritime Heritage Breed Directory Rev 2010.pdf
Maybe this will help :)

Doesn't list Circle Pond Farms for SPPR - but they have them FYI http://www.circlepondfarm.com/chickens.htm

Last edited:
Rachel, sppr hens take their good old time getting ready to lay. They take a long time to mature, and my pullets will probably be at least 6 months old before any start to lay. That is one characteristic that I will try to improve by keeping tabs on the age that each hen starts to lay. Right now, I am just trying to hatch out enough hens to have a decent sized flock, before culling on egg production. I expect this will take many years before I have a flock of about a dozen sppr hens that will lay well consistently. I'm very patient
old.gif
and this will be a retirement project.

Thank you to whomever provided the link to the PR breeders. There must be a few more breeders of spprs in the Maritimes. I just haven't found them yet.

Yep, you are right, pretty sure it is my Barred Rock girl and the heat is just messing with things.

And your welcome, I hope to be on that list some day.....

How does his crow sound?

This is my first Barred Rock boy crowing. I was not told his age when I got him, but judging by the growth of my other barred boys, he was about 8 weeks, and started crowing at 4 months old, not 6 like I said previously. Whoops!
Jagger crowed really badly at first. My two new barred boys that are crowing sound like they've been doing it years! I have only two roosters that actually started crowing rather pathetically. I plan to keep one of the boys above for breeding. Jagger is my free range flock rooster. Though everyone free ranges right now, I plan to separate them come breeding season.
I would say Jagger is bigger then the standard for barred rocks. He is HUGE!
I'm sorry this took me forever! Big Poppa would not cooperate with me and would stop whenever I took my camera to video him for you.
So this morning I left them in the coop for a few minutes and did a video for the sound. haha
During the video you hear my three roo's. Two are little, a cochin and a naked neck. (They are still very young)
The very last crow is my barred.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom