Polish roo eye gone and eye socket bleeding help

chnmh

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
My roo got attacked by the hens when we opened the coop this morning he was laying down and not moving much. Upon further inspection his whole eye was pecked out and his eye socket is just a big bloody hole what can we do for him were very new at chickens we got them in June...will he survive or is the eye socket being open its a lil bigger than a quarter really bad :( I'm heart broken I love my roo!

I'm so glad he is doing better today--you had me worried yesterday. I think you are very right to give this little guy a chance. You have worked so hard on him, so I'm hoping he is finally turning around. Glad the swelling is less. Just remember about the runny poos--he has been on antibiotics forever, and needs probiotics for awhile to get his stools back to normal. I have a hen who is having a terrible molt now, and keeps trying to die, but she loves her scrambled eggs every day. Give him a hug, and ignore the naysayers--you are doing a great job.

Last edited:
I would clean it gently, and put Neosporin or another brand of antibiotic ointment in the eye. It sounds like the eye ruptured, but many times after doctoring a pecked eye, the eye will show up in there after swelling goes down. He should be okay with 1 eye, but Polish chickens get picked on in mixed flocks. I have one hen that gets scalped about once a year, so I have taken her out and put her with more docile breeds.

If you have any saline (such as an unopened bottle of nasal saline spray) You could pour it over the wound and dab it with gauze or cotton. Watch him closely for infection. You can make normal saline by adding 1 teaspoonful of salt to a quart/liter of water, and boiling it for 15 minutes to sterilize it, and of course cool it.

Last edited:
As long as he doesn't have a brain injury and doesn't develop infection, he has a good chance of surviving. I would try to give him an antibiotic if you can get one for him--amoxicillin, keflex, baytril and others are good. Maybe your usual vet can prescribe them. Keep him isolated in a cage, but he could probably be in the coop with others if he is warm enough so they don't forget him. High protein diet with some egg, tuna, liver, or dry cat food along with his normal feed would be good. If you have vitamins or electrolytes for his water for a few days, and later probiotics if he starts on antibiotics.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I've got penicillin g procaine could I use that on him? And I'm gonna try to keep him in because of our weather its gonna be very cold over the next few days and I'm also afraid he will get pecked more. Do you think 3-4 days is too long to keep him away from his hens? I have vitamins ill be sure to start him on those thank you so much for your kindness and help!
He needs to be apart from the flock because they will peck him now. You could let him visit in a cage. Procaine Penicillin G 0.1cc/mlup to 0.5 cc/ml (that is 1/10 to 1/2 cc/ml) can be given safely as a shot into the breast muscle daily for 4 days. Alternate sides. Use a 20 gauge needle, and you may need to draw it up in an 18 gauge needle since it is thick. Be sure to pull back on the syringe to check that you are not in a blood vessel, before giving.

Sorry that he is not doing so well. Can you get some help, wrap him in a towel every day, and try doing some warm saline or betadine water soaks on his eye area for 20 minutes or so? His eye still looks infected, and I think you may need to try cleaning out any pus drainage or crust out of the eye. Have you put any Neosporin or other eye ointment into the eye?

I would use a thick wet wash cloth to do the soaks and make it pretty moist. Just wash the same cloth out in some weak bleach water each time to clean it afterward, then rinse well. I'm afraid you can't be too gentle--the more moist it gets, the softer it will be, and you can try Q-Tips and tweezers, or gloved fingers. Holding his head sideways and keeping the nose up, so that the saline doesn't run into the nares, you can drip the saline into the eye. Saline won't kill him if it gets into his nose, but water might. I wish I could help you do it. Do you have any nurse or EMT friends to help?

Back
Top Bottom