Poo Poll

Do you remove turds from nest boxes by hand?

• NEVER! That's disgusting! what's wrong with you peeps!

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Well, I don't make it a practice, but once in awhile...

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Sure, if I'm there, I'll pick one out for clean eggs!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
If it's wet, I sort of scoop it up along with some of the shavings. I try to keep fresh turd off my hands because I have cockatiels and try to minimize contamination, though I imagine their resistances are higher since I've gotten chickens because I don't exactly disinfect as if I were in a hospital every time I come inside.

I've never had to, but I would. Turds in my coop dry out fast so no big deal. The moist ones make good dog treats too!
droolin.gif

I keep an old fireplace toolset next to the coop. The poker, the scissor thing for picking up logs and the shovel. So one of those tools can usually do the job and I'm picking it up by hand. However none of this really keeps the eggs clean(er).

Yes, I will toss the occaisional turd out by hand.
If it's wet, then some shavings go with it.

If it's really nasty, I tell my daughter to go "take care of HER chickens"

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
"I'm a poo flicker, I'm a poo flicker...."
big_smile.png

Nest boxes are on the side of the coop, so I flick the occasional poo onto the coop floor with a piece of wood (furring strip), and replace the shavings in the nest boxes weekly.

We live in the desert southwest, so poo is usually dry, and even eggs laid on poo are easily brushed off. With notable exceptions, of course
wink.png

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom