Pool in duck run

Swiegand

Chirping
Apr 27, 2022
Hey duck buddies. I just moved my ducks pool inside their locked run. They usually get to go in and out as they please and I lock them up at night and their pool is usually just outside their run. However, until we have either a chain link or sturdier fence, I want to keep them in their run around the clock since an incident just yesterday with my pitbull. He pushed their fence over & got into their side of the yard & killed one of my cayugas. My husband said their pool shouldn't be in their run, but that just makes no sense to me as they're adult ducks and won't drown. There's a ramp on the inside & outside of their pool that they are very used to and capable of using. Plus they usually put themselves to sleep at night anyways so I'm not worried about wet feather either. Is it fine or do I need to cover their pool at night or put a door on their house at night? Is there something I'm missing? Am I wrong to make the pool accessible at all times? Help.

So sorry about the loss of your duck. 😞

I am new to ducks but can share what I have. I have a large fenced run that my ducks and chickens share with 2 pools for the ducks. I don’t keep them in their duck house to cut out on the mess. They also put themselves to bed in the duck house at night, and I like that it stays fairly clean that way.

Is your run secure and enclosed totally on all sides and roofed/netting? I wouldn’t think it would be a big deal to keep the pool inside the run as long as it’s enclosed for them at night as well. You may have more mess to clean as a result, but understand the trade-off with the security factor as well.

Hopefully more experienced duck owners will chime in.

So sad about the cayuga
There is no reason that precludes a pool in the run. Many people don't have them in the run just because of the mess. I personally do not have a run, I have a coop and the ducks free range in my back yard. I have two wading pools -- one on my patio and one a little further away on the garden. They insist on using the patio [I think they are frightened of mising something if they go too far away!!!] They do splash and obviously splashes land outside the pool. Unless I am sitting there and getting wet, I don't mind! If you don't mind the run getting splashes, then keep your ducks in for safety and give them their pool for fun!!

Last edited:
So sorry about the loss of your duck. 😞

I am new to ducks but can share what I have. I have a large fenced run that my ducks and chickens share with 2 pools for the ducks. I don’t keep them in their duck house to cut out on the mess. They also put themselves to bed in the duck house at night, and I like that it stays fairly clean that way.

Is your run secure and enclosed totally on all sides and roofed/netting? I wouldn’t think it would be a big deal to keep the pool inside the run as long as it’s enclosed for them at night as well. You may have more mess to clean as a result, but understand the trade-off with the security factor as well.

Hopefully more experienced duck owners will chime in.
Yes, they're run is fully predator proof. It's covered with chicken wire across the top and some wood/tin on one end over their house for rain. but their open area where they get to free range where their pool is is not predator proof, but there is a "fence" to keep my dog away. He's done fine with the fence for months, but was able to knock it down yesterday. So it's obviously not sturdy enough. So until then....

Yes, they're run is fully predator proof. It's covered with chicken wire across the top and some wood/tin on one end over their house for rain. but their open area where they get to free range where their pool is is not predator proof, but there is a "fence" to keep my dog away. He's done fine with the fence for months, but was able to knock it down yesterday. So it's obviously not sturdy enough. So until then....
Gotcha. I get it for sure. We have 3 German Shepherds that respect the boundaries or at least, always have up to this point. Our fence is concreted into the ground but still, Murphy’s Law and all that.

I’d try to limit their access to the area that seems iffy for now, or cycle the dog into his/her kennel or house while the ducks are enjoying their time in the pool. We give our birds free range time in the evenings while the dogs are up to try to keep everyone happy. It’s a balancing act, for sure!

Gotcha. I get it for sure. We have 3 German Shepherds that respect the boundaries or at least, always have up to this point. Our fence is concreted into the ground but still, Murphy’s Law and all that.

I’d try to limit their access to the area that seems iffy for now, or cycle the dog into his/her kennel or house while the ducks are enjoying their time in the pool. We give our birds free range time in the evenings while the dogs are up to try to keep everyone happy. It’s a balancing act, for sure!
Yeah I'm pretty mad at myself. I feel like I let this happen since I knew the fence needed to be more sturdy or stronger. Until we replace it, I'd rather keep them safe in their run. Thank you so much for your help🙏

Yeah I'm pretty mad at myself. I feel like I let this happen since I knew the fence needed to be more sturdy or stronger. Until we replace it, I'd rather keep them safe in their run. Thank you so much for your help🙏
Ah well, things happen. Sometimes even despite our best efforts. We live and learn, and always can improve. I know I have made my own mistakes for sure. You’re most welcome and best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom