Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
I'm in mid state NY. The poop trays are working great for us, we like the granular better then the powder PDZ . We are trying the deep litter method for this winter, not sure how much I like it yet. Should I be shoveling out the pine shavings every so often or just let it go and add as I need? I've got about 4-6 inches deep on the floor so far.

I don't have any chickens yet but was wondering You say your poop board is waist high and the roost above that.Would heavy breed chickens have any problem getting up there
Vinnie

Hello everyone, I came to the conclusion in September that I wanted chickens. I have a beautiful gazebo in my backyard that just sits there. I go in it once a year and get all the spider webs down and hose all the pollen out of it. My sister and her husband are going to help me convert it to a chicken house. At first my husband thought I was losing my mind..."Your getting what?"....but now he is excited about it also. I am waiting until March to get our new babies. I have been reading books and pouring over this wonderful website. I have to say, I had already designed my house but now I am redesigning and putting in the poop boards and using the Sweet PDZ. This is the most wonderful idea I have seen. Thanks Trish for such a great plan. I only have one problem, I can't decide what to use on the floor. It is a washed concrete floor and I want to use something over it. I have researched and decided to use river sand but after reading so many posts and what you said about the smell of sand after a while, I am thinking pine shavings. But then everybody complains about how much work pine shavings are. I am sooo confused! Please help. I really want to use the sand. What about using sand and putting in the PDZ? After I started reading this thread I thought I would just use PDZ on the whole floor of the coop but then I read about how one person said it was not a good idea. HELP! Like I said, I'm not fixing it until March so I still have time to change things.
I have a concrete floor also. Great for foiling digging pests! I use 5 inches of flake pine shavings. I don't remove any this time of year as we are doing the deep litter method. I toss in a handfull of black oil sunflower seeds (boss) or scratch before entering the coop, pick up their water and by the time I empty and rinse and refill the girls have turned the litter over for me. I use a stiff tine rake every few days to a week to give a deep stir and move it around good-this keeps a "cap" from forming to the litter stays to were it will continue to absorb, watch for wet spots and remove them-spilled water under a fount. Yes-- it can get dusty but not as bad as sand. In the summer I remove the entire foor litter and restart after a through coop cleaning/and dry. The major part of the poo is under my deep poop box--that gets scooped daily--so much less smelly with the PDZ. the choices of sand--too dusty, and straw-too many place for lice and mites to hide in, the only other one I might try is the- newer pelleted pine bedding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom