Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
I use it on the wood floor with no shavings and scrape daily. However, I don't put much and this doesn't work in freezing weather too well. Also will ruin the floor eventually unless you have linoleum.

Question: Why doesn't it work in freezing weather? I'm in NH so I need to know:)

Also, can Sweet PDZ be put in outdoor compost? I'm wondering if it will affect our garden or the veggies we eat?!? Or if the floury nature of it will affect the birds respiratory system negatively if they scratch in it?

Thanks, I'm designing our coop as we speak!

Question: Why doesn't it work in freezing weather? I'm in NH so I need to know:)

Also, can Sweet PDZ be put in outdoor compost? I'm wondering if it will affect our garden or the veggies we eat?!? Or if the floury nature of it will affect the birds respiratory system negatively if they scratch in it?

Thanks, I'm designing our coop as we speak!

PDZ works great in freezing weather. I think the poster you quoted was referring to using only a sprinkle on her wood floor- so basically the poops were freezing (not the pdz). If you use it "like a chicken litter box" it will work great and stays scoopable even in the coldest temps.

PDZ website does say it is safe for compost.

No respiratory problems to speak of but try the granular kind first if you are worried about the powder kind.

Good luck designing your coop and post pics when you are done!!!!

Trish
big_smile.png

I can confirm that it works great in the winter! Actually I love it when the poo freezes in the PDZ as less of it seems to stick to it and less PDZ gets thrown out.

I compost, too, so I contacted the manufacturer and it's supposed to be quite safe and possibly even good for growing in our gardens when blended into compost.

Currently, I have a bourbon red turkey, 2 OEG bantams and an Australorp but am being kept awake by 8 chicks in my bathtub (2-salmon favorelles, 2-buttercups, bufff orp, buff maran, red sexlink, and one other;)  So if I have.....about 13' of roost that is plenty for my group.  Just thought too, I will need to make my short roost wider than 24" for the turkey probably...any idea how wide??

Can I ask how this is working out? I had always heard that chix and turkeys are NOT good companions because the turkeys can get black-head and die. I want turkeys too but that means building another coop. Maybe with the PDZ it won't be as much of an issue because the poop gets scooped so the Turks can't eat it? Although mine I plan to free range so that's still an issue... Anyway, just wondering!!!!

It's been freezing here in mid-state NY for most of this Winter and I think the PDZ is great! I have had to use a metal scraper a couple of times to loosen the poo from the bottom of the poop tray, but the PDZ is still doing its job to make things easier and sweet smelling!

I am trying the PDZ in my coop.This is my second day of it and it was so easy to pick up the poop.I don't have boards still in the proses, so far I am using paper bags under the roost, and putting the PDZ on the papers.The rest of the floor is cover with wood pellets.

I am trying the PDZ in my coop.This is my second day of it and it was so easy to pick up the poop.I don't have boards still in the proses, so far I am using paper bags under the roost, and putting the PDZ on the papers.The rest of the floor is cover with wood pellets.

Great start!

Once you build the boards you will really see how easy it is
highfive.gif

Good luck and keep us posted!

Trish

Back
Top Bottom