Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
Looks great!! Trying to talk Rick into putting the PDZ in the new breeding coops. Any problem with them eating it.

Hi Colleen
big_smile.png

No problem with them eating it at all. The manufacturer actually says the granular kind can be consumed as grit.

woot.gif

Trish

I've seen mine peck at the PDZ a bit here and there, but never ate it in any quantity. Like spoiledchicken said, it just works like grit for them anyway.

I talked with my local feed store and got them to start carrying PDZ. Before I had to go about an hour to the Tractor Supply to get it! They priced it a little higher, but at least I can get it locally now.

Thanks for the info. My husband and I jus built 4 breeding pens and it would make things a lot cleaner to put that in their coops. I' ll try it

Coop is 10x10 ...... I find that humidity is challenging at that number so I have to leave all three windows open, we also have a ridge vent installed. I am still considering adding a few more vents above the back window but I think I'm ok for now.

Trish

Yep, you would really benefit from having a cupola added to the roof there.....however mating it to the curved roof might be problemativ and then allowing for the opening and closing vent from inside etc.....

Might just bee easier to put vents into the vertical wall at both ends, but be sure to put some kind of opening and closing mechanism to allow for weather changes throughout the year.

Yep, you would really benefit from having a cupola added to the roof there.....however mating it to the curved roof might be problemativ and then allowing for the opening and closing vent from inside etc.....

Might just bee easier to put vents into the vertical wall at both ends, but be sure to put some kind of opening and closing mechanism to allow for weather changes throughout the year.

Thanks
big_smile.png

I have been considering adding a few more vents. I have a fan in the back window blowing in and leave all 3 windows open- plus the ridge vent runs the full length of it. So far this seems adequate but I may still put a few more in.

I LOVE cupolas
love.gif
I have one on my smaller coop (on the left)

Trish

Okay, I tried wading through the 68 pages of this post string trying to find an answer to this question, but then gave up- lots of other great info though.

So how deep does the tray have to be for the PDZ to be deep enough? I have a plywood board that we are using as the board, but how tall should the lip/sides be? 1"? 2"? We are trying to finish our coop tomorrow am so quick answers would be really appreciated :)

Okay, I tried wading through the 68 pages of this post string trying to find an answer to this question, but then gave up- lots of other great info though.

So how deep does the tray have to be for the PDZ to be deep enough? I have a plywood board that we are using as the board, but how tall should the lip/sides be? 1"? 2"?  We are trying to finish our coop tomorrow am so quick answers would be really appreciated :)

I haven't gotten mine built yet but it looks like several people used 2 x 4 so I would say at least 4 inches deep

i think I read someone recommending that they use 1" x 4" (1" so that the chickens wouldn't want to hang out on the lip) but 4" seems so deep- we have to mount the lip on top of the plywood so it would end up being 3 1/2" inches deep.

Last edited:
i think I read someone recommending that they use 1" x 4" (1" so that the chickens wouldn't want to hang out on the lip) but 4" seems so deep- we have to mount the lip on top of the plywood so it would end up being 3 1/2" inches deep.
We used 1 x 4 to frame out the trays. I wouldn't go any less than that. You really do need some depth to it or it makes it much harder to scoop out. You aren't going to fill it right to the top anyway, this gives you some room to scoop and not push it out on the floor. Also if you are in a cold climate like I am, in the winter sometimes the poop will freeze to the bottom of the tray. The deeper it is the less that happens. I use a putty knife to scrape/pop it off when it does happen.

Just 1 inch works for me. In my old coop I have a 1 x 5 inch board cut in half so that it really is a 3/4 x 2 inch piece that runs the length of my poop tray. I usually have 3/4 to 1 inch of PDZ mixed with DE in that tray. In my new coop I have used a 2 x 3 as the edge to 5/8 inch plywood and I have 1 to 1/2 inch of my PDZ/DE mix in the tray. I have a colander (plastic) that I sift the PDZ mix through. I have 12 feet of 20 inch wide poop tray that I sift daily. It takes me 10 minutes to do it. After I clean the trays and before I replace the removable roost...my chickens sometimes take a dust bath in it. I posted pictures of the interiors of my coops in my profile.

:D :D

Back
Top Bottom