Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
Mine boards are 24"x6'x 3" or 4" for the lip, and the roost is a 2x4 rounded off about 8 or 10" above that. I keep about a 11/2" to 2" deep in PDZ. That way I can scoop and not scoop the pdz out. The girls like to dust bathe before I'm done cleaning out and have even lay-ed an egg into the PDZ, which was not broken. I love it when it freezes-faster to scoop.

Am I the only one who "composts" under the roosts? I use leaves, garden soil, and the chickens turn it over and over looking for bugs. I water it down a bit during the hot weather and have an earth floor. Makes great compost which I save in a big plastic trash can for the garden. I scoop "the product" out about twice a year and add leaves and soil every couple of months. No odor whatsoever and of course not much work or "poop boards" etc.

Am I the only one who "composts" under the roosts? I use leaves, garden soil, and the chickens turn it over and over looking for bugs. I water it down a bit during the hot weather and have an earth floor. Makes great compost which I save in a big plastic trash can for the garden. I scoop "the product" out about twice a year and add leaves and soil every couple of months. No odor whatsoever and of course not much work or "poop boards" etc.
I love the idea of DLM composting but I asked a bunch of people who had had chickens for a long time where I live and most of them had switched to concrete floors under their coops. I actually used pavers so I can always take a couple of them out later, but for now I'm just going to take the poop in a bucket to the compost bin :)

We made our poop trays only 18 inches wide ( husbands idea not mine) and this spring we will be redesigning our coop. Live and learn, it's all good.
Since we will be adding at least 6 chickens to our flock we will need more roost space anyway.

We made our poop trays only 18 inches wide ( husbands idea not mine) and this spring we will be redesigning our coop. Live and learn, it's all good.
Since we will be adding at least 6 chickens to our flock we will need more roost space anyway.

Uh oh I was planning 12 in wide guessing I need to up that number. What are your new widths gonna be?

I'm going to have him make the suggested 24" wide. I've got a lot of poop over the edges and my kitty scoop doesn't fit in some places. He's on board with it now since he's been doing most of the scooping during the school year.

Last edited:
Bamachicks- yes I have 30 year old twins, and now we are expecting twin grandchildren in August! We had so much fun with them and can't wait for the next set set!

Back
Top Bottom