Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

freezing weather with PDZ

I asked this question a few times and never got a super good answer.

Well, now it is freezing, and now I have a complete answer in case anyone else out there had the same question,

If you clean the PDZ every day, or have only a little poop, then it all works fine. The PDZ still scoops nicely and easily, it is all super easy to clean, just like in the summer.

If however, :th you let it go for a week with a nice number of chickens who prefer pooping in a very small concentrated area, then you have frozen concrete that even a chisel will NOT be able to budge.

So.......PDZ is great, if you keep up with your maintenance. If you are not good at keeping up with your maintenance then use something else on the poop shelf.

Sorry this post is so late, I'm sure you found something but just in case...I believe Sweet PDZ is the same ingredient type stuff just dry stall is Canadian...and I believe sweet pdz works better at cutting the smell. Usually you can get either at places like TSC, Big R, Agway type feed stores Also i saw a similar post on BYC hopefully I put the link in correctly for you to check it out  :thumbsup

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/478491/sweet-pdz-versus-drystall-for-odor

Yes thanks. I'm using Stall Dry. It works perfectly. I pour it under their roosts and on the table around their nesting boxes. i just scoop poop up every morning with kitty litter scoop. The rest of coop I have straw spread around.

Yes thanks. I'm using Stall Dry. It works perfectly. I pour it under their roosts and on the table around their nesting boxes. i just scoop poop up every morning with kitty litter scoop. The rest of coop I have straw spread around.
Sounds good just wanted to tell you =) That's almost what I do, I use Pdz under roost and shavings everywhere else so its warm and fluffy they
love.gif
it!

"freezing weather with PDZ

I asked this question a few times and never got a super good answer.

Well, now it is freezing, and now I have a complete answer in case anyone else out there had the same question,

If you clean the PDZ every day, or have only a little poop, then it all works fine. The PDZ still scoops nicely and easily, it is all super easy to clean, just like in the summer.

If however,
th.gif
you let it go for a week with a nice number of chickens who prefer pooping in a very small concentrated area, then you have frozen concrete that even a chisel will NOT be able to budge.

So.......PDZ is great, if you keep up with your maintenance. If you are not good at keeping up with your maintenance then use something else on the poop shelf."
-------------------------------------------------

Wood stove pellets with some (but not too much) sweet pdz on top works well.

What great info and ideas on this thread. Thanks to everyone for sharing! My hubby is building me a new coop this spring and now I have many wonderful plans!

Back
Top Bottom