Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

I've read some on this thread say that the powdered Sweet PDZ is less dusty, but the Manna Pro website says the granules are less dusty. Can someone clarify? It does seem as though the powder would be more absorbent on a poop board.

Thoughts?

I have three poop boards with the granulated and one with the powder.

I found the powder was really needed for turkey poop, :sick

Granulated maybe lasts longer, since it doesn't completely coat every poop like the powder.

I prefer the powder for tossing in the nest box to keep it fresh.

I think the granulated is less dusty, but both are dusty, wearing a mask when scooping is probably best.

Thank you all, for the ideas..... I been hanging around for awhile... building a folder of many ideas and reading, reading and reading....

Here is my final poop board and roost design that I built yesterday.... It high up off the floor, 48", so the birds get exercise flying up to it.. (hopefully)... 2 each 4' roost boards.... 2x4".... 5" above the PB so if an egg is laid at night, it might not break.... And I plan on using Sweet PDZ on the board and DE for parasite control...... The poop board is 48" x 32" because it was laying around in my stuff to save pile.... The roosts lift up and out for washing.... Bride's only comment on my "Chicken Raising Plans", "It was a lot easier raising chickens when I was a kid"... Silly woman....

about 2-3 more weeks to get the coop and run done.... maybe..... Dave

Dave, that looks wonderful!

You have done a great job, and using left over lumber is a big plus!

If you live someplace really hot, I might be tempted to cut a long vent in the higher wall, up along the top. Like three inches tall by the length of the wall. You could keep the strip you cut out to use as a cover, if your winters are cold, or if it causes too much of a draft. In general though..... More vents are better.

Dave, that looks wonderful!

You have done a great job, and using left over lumber is a big plus!

If you live someplace really hot, I might be tempted to cut a long vent in the higher wall, up along the top. Like three inches tall by the length of the wall. You could keep the strip you cut out to use as a cover, if your winters are cold, or if it causes too much of a draft. In general though..... More vents are better.

Alaskan, morning..... and thanks for the compliments.... I have been looking at more air venting.... The roof is totally open where it sits on the walls... 2 3/4" gap under the perlins for 24' around the walls.... about 5.5 sq. ft. ... Working inside the coop is very breezy.... I'm trying to figure the locations for more air.... I'm just putting together a thread with my build... finished taking pics a bit ago... every time I start on another thing to install, I read this forum and find great ideas.... My plan is sure a lot different than what I started with 6 months ago.... Very glad this forum is here.... So many folks with great ideas.... My pop door will be open 24/7 as the base of the coop is an enclosed run for now...
It does get hot here... 100's in the summer and -0 deg in the winter... summer nights are cool here in the high desert... good thing.... Dave

Last edited:
My bones are aching for some heat.

0 F is just fine for chickens. With desert dryness, that will help reduce your frostbite risk, which is great. You already used the perfect sized perches to make sure that they do not loose their toes.

My bones are aching for some heat.

0 F is just fine for chickens. With desert dryness, that will help reduce your frostbite risk, which is great. You already used the perfect sized perches to make sure that they do not loose their toes.

I didn't know chickens could stand the cold AND get frost bite.... one of the hundreds of things I learned here... by next month it will be in the thousands....
I keep reading Sally Sunshine threads and learn stuff too..... plenty of smart folks around this place I tell ya.....

Back
Top Bottom