Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

I really wanted to try it....but I couldn't figure out how to set it up for my ducks.

I did try sand, and that was HORRID, it froze into a poopy block of nasty.

I am a little worried that PDZ would do the same.

When .i let the PDZ go too long in the chicken poop trays over the winter, it also turned into a solid block of nasty. I just can't talk myself into cleaning it every day, especially when it is cold out. In the summer, that is no problem, but in the winter it is a big one. I was actually thinking that in the winter for the chickens I would not use PDZ, but just line the poop shelf with a feed bag.

For my ducks, they were on the dirt, and every so often I added another thin layer of hay. (Only because I already had some, I think wood shavings would work better)

On another thread, I can't remember which one, some suggested increased air circulation in the coop, will reduce the humidity and put an end to frozen clumps of "stuff"....

Last edited:
I really wanted to try it....but I couldn't figure out how to set it up for my ducks.

When .i let the PDZ go too long in the chicken poop trays over the winter, it also turned into a solid block of nasty. I just can't talk myself into cleaning it every day, especially when it is cold out. In the summer, that is no problem, but in the winter it is a big one. I was actually thinking that in the winter for the chickens I would not use PDZ, but just line the poop shelf with a feed bag.

For my ducks, they were on the dirt, and every so often I added another thin layer of hay. (Only because I already had some, I think wood shavings would work better)

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if it would work if we could clean each day. I have kids who help with the flock chores. The shavings cost us an arm and a leg having to add so much to keep it from being a stinky slimy ice rink.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if it would work if we could clean each day. I have kids who help with the flock chores. The shavings cost us an arm and a leg having to add so much to keep it from being a stinky slimy ice rink.

Ah, I get shavings for free if I bag myself, or for very low cost if they bag it for me, at the local saw mills and a timber frame place.

Last edited:
Ah, I get shavings for free if I bag myself, or for very low cost if they bag it for me, at the local saw mills and a timber frame place.

here at my local feed store the shavings start at $6.80 they use to start at $3.59 but everything got really expensive in the few months that my grams took a break from chickens.
idunno.gif

what we did for the longest time was use a corner of the yard for grow wheat in 24 small rows and twice a month we would take down half of each row dry and dry it for my grams birds. Then we would put down compost on the ground where we took the wheat and spread the some wheat heads and it would be regrown in a few months time so the birds always had hay. that wheat was their for the longest time until the wild fires a few summers ago

i wanted to try sand i think it would work here in the deep south but good god is it heavy! it wouldn't be so bad if i could get some help around the house but fat chance of that happening

A poop board will save so much work, a few minutes each day with a cat litter scoop and you're good to go, you might want to line the poop board though, I used some left over aluminum flasking so that any moisture doesn't settle into the wooden bottom of the poop board

A poop board will save so much work, a few minutes each day with a cat litter scoop and you're good to go, you might want to line the poop board though, I used some left over aluminum flasking so that any moisture doesn't settle into the wooden bottom of the poop board
Absolutely yes on the poop board! But I'm lining mine with a remnant piece of linoleum...same results, just different stuff!!

Back
Top Bottom