Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Someone mentioned, somewhere, that their roosting board was 2-3" above the poop board..... that was so eggs laid while on the roost would not break... food for thought.... don't know if chickens lay while on the roost..... I'm new at this......

Dave

Thank you for your thoughts! I plan to have a roof ridge vent and also vents along both the west and east side under the overhang. I was thinking in the winter I could add plastic to the outside of the windows to make it more draft free at that height. I hate to lose that window all together. Especially when it will give them a view and a breeze in the summer. Hmmmm. So if I make the poop board 5ft long by 20" deep is that big enough? I plan to have a 2x4 wide side up for the roost.
My husband made a pulleys system of doubled plastic, 4mm I think, built a frame around the pulleys top and bottom attached with zip ties to a pole and inserted a pole to hold down the plastic. I can raise it in the day and lower it before it's night fall. the fame was to keep the wind from blowing beneath and around the edges. I have 2 wooden walls and 2 screen walls. the plastic shade is only on the wall 10 feet long across from their roost. all the other openings in winter get covered in plastic up to 2 inches from the top, so we can still have venting. Your husband has done a remarkable job on a very cute coop, please post pictures when it's done.
daveomak, Yes, hens sometimes lay on the roost, at least mine have.

Last edited:
that's great!! i'm heading out to look for some PDZ I wonder if they sell it in Canada? my coop isn't quite finished yet so I still have time to do a poop board, I may have to adjust my roosting limbs so that I don't have to stoop to scoop
celebrate.gif

that's great!! i'm heading out to look for some PDZ I wonder if they sell it in Canada? my coop isn't quite finished yet so I still have time to do a poop board, I may have to adjust my roosting limbs so that I don't have to stoop to scoop
celebrate.gif
Just a word here about the poop board. Do not put it too high. If you have large hens like orps or standard hens when they get down they can hurt their feet. That causes bumble foot. They will not always use the walk down for some reason. Sweet pdz is great as is diamotous earth for the same area. Either one works good luck

Just want to thank the op again for this wonderful idea! I have been using it for 2 months now in my new coop -- it is fantastic! Seems to catch at least half of the poop!

Every morning I go in to check the feed dish etc...and I just keep a plastic coffee can thing and a kitty litter scoop. Takes all of 20-30 seconds to scoop the piles from the night before and dump them in the coffee can (which gets thrown into the back field every 3 days or so when full).

So easy! All of the big wet patches dry fast after the poop is removed and the coop stays smelling so much nicer. It also saves me from having to change the shavings on the floor more than every 2-3 weeks which I really love. Changing the shavings is a pain and I a not a fan of the DPL.

What do you do about the poop that is in the rest of the coop? I am considering adding sand to my coop, but I'm doing a lot of research first.

I use pine (my coop is small, 8 x 4).

I have heard sand inside the coop can really start to stink even when scooped for poop; it doesn't neutralize the odors and can harbor moisture (which would be bad inside due to ammonia).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom