Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Yes, it's fired such that it's very stable over time. I've got mix that's four years old and the clay portion is still as it was when fresh out of the bag.

I've done a bit of googling on what it is about zeolite that makes it absorb ammonia. From what I've gathered, it's the aluminium silicate that makes it work, and aluminium silicate is a clay mineral. Zeolite is hydrated though, and I don't know whether the pinkish litter clay is or if that even makes a difference.

Either way, it should be easy to test. I found a cat litter experiment that measured the ammonia using pH strips, and while I don't have any of those I do have a steady supply of red onion.

Yes, it's fired such that it's very stable over time. I've got mix that's four years old and the clay portion is still as it was when fresh out of the bag.

I've done a bit of googling on what it is about zeolite that makes it absorb ammonia. From what I've gathered, it's the aluminium silicate that makes it work, and aluminium silicate is a clay mineral. Zeolite is hydrated though, and I don't know whether the pinkish litter clay is or if that even makes a difference.

Either way, it should be easy to test. I found a cat litter experiment that measured the ammonia using pH strips, and while I don't have any of those I do have a steady supply of red onion.
So, do you wash it to remove the absorbed oders and solids?

Yup! It folds down for cleaning. I am actually in the middle of making something to sit under the ramp now :) right now they're little and they half fly up so I was ok for a few days leaving it but definitely need it to not be so steep.
I know you said you were going to put a block under the ramp so it wouldn't be so steep. I'm working with a similar set up (w/poop tray and perch above nesting boxes)and have some concerns about the ladies getting up to their perch. Mine are big--Orpingtons, Wyandottes, EEs. What's the height from the base to your landing? And how wide is your coop?

Oh, why didn't I think of that?!
Mine are in transition and will move into their new coop in the next day or two. Meanwhile, they've been sleeping on top of each other in a heap on the dirt floor of their run! I tried, unsuccessfully moving them to the perch while they were sleeping, but I'd get four up and one would jump down and the rest would follow so I gave up. I don't know where they were sleeping before I inherited them (from a friend who relocated to Sweden), but I want to make it easy for them to get up to the perch on their own.
Scratch! They'll follow me anywhere for a bit of scratch!

So, do you wash it to remove the absorbed oders and solids?

I wash it for the plants, to take the dust off the larger pieces. In the coop, I assume it would act like the granulated zeolite and require only scooping and dumping. It'd need washing for coop use as well, to take out the perfume and dust. Perfumed clay dust is rather unpleasant...

I wash it for the plants, to take the dust off the larger pieces. In the coop, I assume it would act like the granulated zeolite and require only scooping and dumping. It'd need washing for coop use as well, to take out the perfume and dust. Perfumed clay dust is rather unpleasant...
There's no need to 'wash' sweet PDZ before use on plants. It is totally safe.

Back
Top Bottom