Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Thanks -- I told my HB that I figured kitty litter might have added chemicals to it but he suggested to check with you guys. We have decided to stick with the PDZ. It was so easy to clean up this morning -- amazing. I was short 2 bags and my supplier was out. Major invested at first because of how big my poop boards are. But can see that once we are set up we'll be good to go. Just have to add to it once in awhile.
You don't need to use straight all PDZ in your poop trays. I laid a full bag of play sand in the bottom of my tray and then the PDZ on top....works GREAT!

Looks like nobody "married" to a certain height of the poop board. Storey's says 24". Our construction much much easier at 39". Surely chickens that have once long ago roosted in trees can get to the roost above the poop board with no trouble!(?)

Mine are approx 18" (the bottom one) I don't like to make my big girls jump down more than that height regularly (especially if there is not a whole lot of room to "fly" down. A direct jump they could break a leg or hurt their feet. if higher than that i'd put a ramp in.

Our new chicken coop is done and full. We moved the big girls in late this afternoon after we fenced in the new coop to the run. (The chicks have been in since the first of the week.) HB left them a picture in the fresh Sweet PDZ below their new poop boards. I was wondering if anyone have ever tried kitty litter instead of Sweet PDZ. HB said that it kinda looks the same.

Haha I LOVE this pic! I still do this for my girls after I clean.

And this past winter when they stopped laying I wrote some very stern warnings in PDZ to them
rant.gif

Nice pics everyone!!! So impressed with all the designs
clap.gif

Looks like nobody "married" to a certain height of the poop board. Storey's says 24". Our construction much much easier at 39". Surely chickens that have once long ago roosted in trees can get to the roost above the poop board with no trouble!(?)

39" sounds like a great height!

I like mine so that everyone roosting is right about eye level. I go in there at dusk to collect eggs and walk the line. This gives me eyes on every bird every night so I can assess any problems if need be. And I like to give my roos the stink eye too...let em know who's in charge
big_smile.png

Trish

The poop board got nailed up at 39" high. Roost about 7" above that. So many recommendations about how far from the wall to set the roost. Most common seems to be 18". Aargh! We used 2 boards 10" wide for the poop board .... So, the front edge of the roost is about 3" from the lip on the front face of the board - to keep as much sand/PDZ in the tray as possible. Hubby said, "Of course they won't face the wall to roost! And besides, they're going to poop on the floor anyway." Well hmmmm. I'll be curious to see if they have a direction preference. I just know I want to keep poop on the floor clean-up to a minimum, and poop on the board to a max. He's doing the construction but says they are my chickens - which they are. But I bet I see him out there a lot, getting eggs when it comes time .... I'm hoping what I've read about Golden Comets laying at around 15 weeks is true! That would be great!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Mine are approx 18" (the bottom one) I don't like to make my big girls jump down more than that height regularly (especially if there is not a whole lot of room to "fly" down. A direct jump they could break a leg or hurt their feet. if higher than that i'd put a ramp in.
This makes sense, BUT, since our nesting boxes are going to go in at about that height, even though they'll have a slanted roof ... and since the board to nail the back poop board is at 39" ... and I really don't want to make this more of a pain for the builder (not me) ... 39" it was. Good news ... We have a ramp that was going to go to another coop project that was a disaster ... so that ramp can go to the roosting area if it looks like my birds are not liking their roost to floor set up. Fortunately, they will have a pretty good distance to fly across on the way down so that may help as well. Now I just hope they'll face out away from the wall as much as possible while on their roost. There's a lot more distance roost to wall than roost to front of poop board. But what will be will be and poop happens.

Back
Top Bottom