Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

This makes sense, BUT, since our nesting boxes are going to go in at about that height, even though they'll have a slanted roof ... and since the board to nail the back poop board is at 39" ... and I really don't want to make this more of a pain for the builder (not me) ... 39" it was. Good news ... We have a ramp that was going to go to another coop project that was a disaster ... so that ramp can go to the roosting area if it looks like my birds are not liking their roost to floor set up. Fortunately, they will have a pretty good distance to fly across on the way down so that may help as well. Now I just hope they'll face out away from the wall as much as possible while on their roost. There's a lot more distance roost to wall than roost to front of poop board. But what will be will be and poop happens.
Yes, if they have some distance to flap their wings on the way down, I think it would be fine. my poo tray is 20" wide I have the roost approx. 3" from the front. most gets in the tray, a couple like to face the wall so I end up just picking a little off the floor every day when I clean the tray. they spend all day out in the run except for when they are in the nesting boxes so I don't get anymore poo in their during the day. If you have a ramp, I would stick it up and give them a choice. I have a gold comet, buff orpington, 2 SLW, and 2 EE. the SLW's, one EE and the Buff orp are big. I don't ever see them fly. I have a roost branch outside and they always walk down to the lowest part to jump off. Now this is just my experience, with my big girls. if others are fine jumping from a higher height, fantastic! :)

winter set up, upper tray taken out to get them out of the draft of the vents. Don't mind the mess, as i'm in minnesota, and it was my first year with chickens, I did alot of experiments. here they were putting themselves to bed, as you can see, no poo on the floor as they never spend time in the hen house. 2 are facing the wall. This roost is 4 feet long, the six of them just fit (big girls). I mix sweet PDZ into the shavings on the floor as well. I poured a whole bag on the floor, then mix it around with the shavings. helped to keep the humidity down in there as well.

Summer set up, I remove the lower roost, keep the tray in there so they can jump down to that, then the floor, I don't have much area for them to fly down. they always jump to the lower tray, then off. they will jump up to the upper tray with no issue though.

here is when they were little, more than enough room, right? lol

Their branch in the run, they usually walk to the lowest side to jump off.

morning....    I found I had to install extra cleats on the ramps...   they are now 4" spacing...  the chickens are much more secure with the extra cleats....  
do your nesting boxes get dirty from being under the roosts? I am also wondering if you have directions on how you built your coop.

Where have poop boards been all my life. I love mine. With Sweet PDZ in them, life is so much easier. I'm so grateful to have learned about Sweet PDZ.
big_smile.png
Me too! what a wonderful thing!

The inside of my new coop looks a lot like nolson's above. I wanted to be able to collect eggs
from the outside but my husband didn't want to cut a hole through the hardy board and the OSB to
install the nest boxes on the outside so I settled for the inside.
idunno.gif

We still have to build the front porch. This one is temporary. It has rained here for days.
I'm going to install an outside light over the pop door. Right now I've got a sensor on the
inside on a timer.

We also have to install a window on the other side of the coop
just like the one below. Again, it just won't stop raining. Soon the electric
line will be buried and not have to hang on the outside. I'm going to
make some shutters when we finish with the other projects and plant
some shrubs along the sides.

do your nesting boxes get dirty from being under the roosts? I am also wondering if you have directions on how you built your coop.
Click on My Coop, in blue, to the left of here....

My nest boxes and storage are outside the coop..... The eggs are inside the lower right door....
My 2 poop boards are pretty high up.... the ramps are steep..... the chickens hesitated to use the ramps and when they did, they slid on the bare parts of the ramps... Soooo, I added more cleats.... now they run up and down the ramps...
You can see the nest boxes lower right... with the "Jump up" board or whatever it's called....
My birds are "full size" Red Sagitta....

.. .... ..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom