Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

I guess I was thinking that if I had a poop board, that all the birds would use it. I can see where that isn't a totally realistic thought, especially for young birds. I have limited experience and only have a small flock and am in the process of building a new coop, and want a poop board.......haven't had one in the past, so any suggestions would be appreciated. (will have an 8 x 12 coop and want to split it into two separate areas.)

Including a poop board will make coop cleaning a breeze. Promise. It's a must have at my farm :)

There are a lot of great designs and pics throughout this thread that will give you lots of ideas for your new coop :)

Good luck!

What's not? 

He has some young birds sleeping on the floor which is completely normal. I have Silkies who sleep on the floor of my coop all the time and occasionally a broody who takes over a corner no biggie.

If you are referring to the pic of birds all crammed together on the poop boards it may be because they can't reach the other part of the board easily. Look at his pic again it looks like he has pieces of wood down to the left that are preventing them from easily accessing that side of the board. Once they all jump up and roost it's kind of hard for them to step over each other to get to an empty spot. That is simply a design problem not a poop board problem.
They have full access to the whole board on both sides....these have all been eaten long ago...so the chickens I've had since these will do the same thing.....stay off the one roost and cram on the other one like the pic ... They are on the board as well.....chickens do not listen very well ...lol

They have full access to the whole board on both sides....these have all been eaten long ago...so the chickens I've had since these will do the same thing.....stay off the one roost and cram on the other one like the pic ... They are on the board as well.....chickens do not listen very well ...lol

LOL no they don't. From your pic it looks like they are just jumping up to that one spot and staying there. I don't know if that wood piece to the side is a ramp or not but it looks like it stops them from getting to that side. Once up there they don't seem to spread out much.

My chickens utilize every inch of my perches although I do have a few they like to roost on the lip here and there. Not much of a problem since their butts are still over the PDZ.

Question about poop boards and boot trays. I saw this boot tray on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Frien...UTF8&qid=1436497330&sr=1-2&keywords=boot+tray it's only 15 inches wide though. What is the preferred width for poop boards? Would this tray work? I'm curious about the preference of boot trays vs. a wooden lip in the front to keep the PDZ in? Any suggestions?

oh and THANK YOU BACKYARD CHICKENS!

This forum is the best!
love.gif

Susan

Question about poop boards and boot trays. I saw this boot tray on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Frien...UTF8&qid=1436497330&sr=1-2&keywords=boot+tray it's only 15 inches wide though. What is the preferred width for poop boards? Would this tray work? I'm curious about the preference of boot trays vs. a wooden lip in the front to keep the PDZ in? Any suggestions?

oh and THANK YOU BACKYARD CHICKENS!

This forum is the best!

Susan
Building a full board, 2 feet deep with roost centered and however long it needs to be, will be much easier to clean than multiple trays IMO.

I don't see what 'wood piece' you are talking about....don't see anything blocking their access to the whole roost and board.

Nothing that will stop a determined chicken from getting to that side if it wants to but there is something there blocking it a bit.

The pic to me looks more like a group of lazy chickens jumping straight up to the board from the floor and then staying in that spot.

What an excellent idea! My coop isn't nearly as big and I'm thinking I might be able to use litter pans or cookie sheets on the coop floor. Our 16 year old cat passed away a few months ago and I knew there was a good reason for hanging onto the poop scooper.
wink.png
I sort of do the same thing with their dusting box.

That's below the roost and board...I seriously doubt it's an impediment to using the whole roost and board.

If you watch chickens jump up to the board they usually jump up straight from the floor to a spot on the board and stay there. If they can't jump up directly to that spot from the floor they might not bother going to that side. It could possibly explain why they congregate on one end for him. Who knows why chickens do what they do lol.

Back
Top Bottom