Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Thanks guys
big_smile.png

Sweet PDZ is a horse stall refresher- it absorbs moisture and smell. I forget exactly what it is made of but it is completely safe for chickens- I think it is made from a mineral maybe? Works GREAT for chicken poop. When my girls are getting on the perches at night they kick a little on to the floor and freshen up the shavings too.

Here is the outside of the coop (can't take credit for the design, it is a Amish kit we brought)

I LOVE your coop! I've looked at it on the Little Cottage Co website and I see that the chicken door is on the front next to the human door...that's not ideal for me and I noticed that your chicken door must be on the side. Was changing the placement of the chicken door something you did yourself or an option they have?
Thank you!

I LOVE your coop! I've looked at it on the Little Cottage Co website and I see that the chicken door is on the front next to the human door...that's not ideal for me and I noticed that your chicken door must be on the side. Was changing the placement of the chicken door something you did yourself or an option they have?
Thank you!

Aww Thank you!
big_smile.png

Yes when I placed my order I requested that the pop door be on the left side not the front. They build them to order so you can make any special request you want. I love the coop and wouldn't hesitate to order it again. Good luck!

Do you just dump all that sand when you clean?

I use mixture of Sand and PDZ (helps absorb Ammonia smell)... I use a kitty litter scoop and just scoop the poop out in the mornings... keeps smell down and as the time goes on the sand/pdz mixture decreases as it sticks to the poop. Not a big deal, just replace as needed and if you notice a smell add more pdz.

Thank you!

Aww Thank you!
big_smile.png

Yes when I placed my order I requested that the pop door be on the left side not the front. They build them to order so you can make any special request you want. I love the coop and wouldn't hesitate to order it again. Good luck!

I noticed the plastic on your run - did the chickens peck at it? I had to just take mine down... girls would not leave it alone.

Can you still use the manure in the compost if it has PDZ on it?

I think you may be right- here is what I found on their website:

http://How Does Sweet PDZ Work?
Sweet PDZ is extremely effective at neutralizing and removing ammonia and odors, because of its two special properties:

1) Adsorption - Which is the sticking of the ammonia gas molecule to the surface of the Sweet PDZ granule.  When the Sweet PDZ granules desorb, or dries out, the ammonia odor molecule is driven off the surface of the mineral as nitrogen.   This is why spent (used) bedding material that includes Sweet PDZ, works so well as a slow release fertilizer or as an enhancement to composting.

2) Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC) - This is the liquid exchange aspect of Sweet PDZ’s odor neutralizing process.  A sodium or potassium cation from the zeolite granule hydrolyzes (goes to liquid/urine) and the ammonium is exchanged and then becomes part of the Sweet PDZ granule.  This liquid exchange works because the Sweet PDZ granules are always holding water. 
The Bottom Line:   Sweet PDZ captures, neutralizes and eliminates harmful ammonia and odors, and it does so through its natural chemistry, not by covering up the odor with a perfume or masking scent.

Trish

Aww Thank you!
big_smile.png

Thank you!

I noticed the plastic on your run - did the chickens peck at it? I had to just take mine down... girls would not leave it alone.

I used the plastic until I got the roof on the run covered and it was outside hardware cloth so they really couldn't reach it but I'm sure if they could they would have pecked the crap out of it.

This is why I eventually roofed it and deep sixed the plastic

Last edited:
The chicken litter boxes look like a really good idea! And so sanitary-like! Are they still working well? I'm just getting started and was sent to this thread to see the poop boards here. Thanks for sharing!

I am just getting back into chickens and have purchased a small all contained coop with a net all try the slide out from under the roosts inside the coop.whay do I put on that tray? Pine shavings? What about the other thing sweet pdx. Would that work better than pine shavings?

Quote: Sweet PDZ actually absorbs the amonia from the air and keeps the poop from smelling bad. It's like a course sand, about the same texture as clumping kitty litter so it can be scooped like kitty litter to clean the tray. Pine shavings would only catch the poop, not do anything about the smell.

Sorry, I tried to quote you but something strange happened, so this is the best I can do...

Back
Top Bottom