Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

If my coop will be indoors (in half of a 12x16 shed for 10 bantam chickens), I plan to remove and clean the sand and deep clean the coop floor once a year, and I'm sealing the plywood floor with liquid rubber before putting down the sand, do you think it will still be a bad idea to use sand?
You could give it a try and see how you like it.
Will you be using a poop board too?

would the poop just break down and compost essentially into the dirt?
Poop will not 'compost' in sand, you need carbon(wood chippings) to break down the nitrogen in the poops.

Sand bedding was/is all the rage...but it's a lot of work.
Your climate is likely so humid you don't need rain to make things damp enough to stink.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

You could give it a try and see how you like it.
Will you be using a poop board too?

Poop will not 'compost' in sand, you need carbon(wood chippings) to break down the nitrogen in the poops.

Sand bedding was/is all the rage...but it's a lot of work.
Your climate is likely so humid you don't need rain to make things damp enough to stink.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.
Thanks!!!

I built a roosting table a few weeks ago but couldnt find the sweet pdz until yesterday. we had some pre-4th of july plans so i didnt get home until after dark to put it on the table.

I walked in and turn the light on and to my surprise no chickens were to be found on their roosting table.

I found all 6 girls roosting in the A frames above my head. I think they have other plans :( any suggestions?

My coop will have those rafters as well. I plan to cover them (as if I were putting an actual ceiling onto them) with hardware cloth to prevent the chickens from being able to get to them. I'm new to this, but have read in several places that this is a common problem as chickens want to roost on the highest spot usually.

How often do you have to switch out the PDZ? Never? Just add as it is used up?
Did you consider mixing PDZ with the sand on the poop boards?
Do you think it would be a good or bad idea to mix the PDZ with the sand on the floor if you were using sand on the floor?

After learning from the threads @aart posted, the PM'S I had with them and this thread as well -- i have now updated my build thread with a second poop board and roosting rail.... Should have it finished tomorrow too.

How often do you have to switch out the PDZ? Never? Just add as it is used up?
Did you consider mixing PDZ with the sand on the poop boards?
Do you think it would be a good or bad idea to mix the PDZ with the sand on the floor if you were using sand on the floor?

After learning from the threads @aart posted, the PM'S I had with them and this thread as well -- i have now updated my build thread with a second poop board and roosting rail.... Should have it finished tomorrow too.

(ETA this part 2) the initial poop board is ~8' X ~24" and it will nicely hold one 50lb(or is it only 25lbs?) bag of PZD from TSC.

@tlatham72 (sorry the website deleted 2/3 of this post as I hit send, that's why this edit)

I too did a quikrete sand experiment but, in the sand-bath tote only. I agree on the mix being of different sizes. The chicks still enjoyed it.

I have recently update my coop build thread as the DSL upload speed lately is horrendous at best so I bearly got them loaded recently - even after shrinking them.

As for other sand - I have actually switched to the "play sand" in 50lb bags from Lowe's for the sand-bathtub now and just added it on top of the small amount of the previous "sand" and then added some DE as well.... Hope to add some ash soon too. I have plenty in the ole fireput.

As for pzd I'm digging it big-time and the chickens actually seem to enjoy it as well.

Well, I used sand for 6 huge Blue Cochins in my walk-in coop and it was the best thing I ever did. I was mindful to use construction sand, not play box sand because of the dust. At first I put it up on their poop board and it was soooooo easy to clean. I purchased a heavy duty metal cat poop scoop with a rubber handle and the sand fell off the poop back into the tray real easily. Plus because it was metal the scoop didn't bend or break. Then because the sand always stayed so cool, I ended up getting more several more bags to replace the wood shaving during the hot summer months. The hens would come in during the hottest part of the day and sit in the cool sand. I only had to clean that part at the end of the summer, then replace with shavings again. With the sand being so cool...(think of when you're on the beach...it's burning hot in the sun and really cool under the shade trees), it was important that I switched it out when it turned cold. Your climate will make a difference how to use sand. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom