Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
I just read this whole thread to:)) thanks for all the great ideas/tips..I am wondering something and hopefully some will comment.

Has anyone put their nesting boxes UNDER their poop boards? As in the pic above of the brooder area, I'm wondering if to work on space, if nesting boxes could be put under the poop boards? Of course allowing enough over hang of the poop board so none get's 'in' the boxes??

Comments on that set up?
Thanks
Diane
No reason why it couldn't work, although you might not like stooping down so much to grab the eggs. Since the poop boards will stick out around 24 inches from the wall, it will be harder to reach back under there than to reach into a nest on a regular open wall. You could get around this problem easily by creating an opening to the nest box from the outside for egg picking, though. Just depends on what works for you!

I just read this whole thread to:)) thanks for all the great ideas/tips..I am wondering something and hopefully some will comment.

Has anyone put their nesting boxes UNDER their poop boards? As in the pic above of the brooder area, I'm wondering if to work on space, if nesting boxes could be put under the poop boards? Of course allowing enough over hang of the poop board so none get's 'in' the boxes??

Comments on that set up?
Thanks
Diane

Diane,

I have the nesting boxes under the poop board. The board actually rests on them, as they are recycled kitchen cabinets, my poopshelf is a piece of recycled laminate kitchen counter so it is rather wide. I avoided the stooping issue (you do not want to get on your hands and knees to get to the eggs) by making an access hatch in the wall behind the nest boxes. So I can get to the eggs from the outside. The nestingboxes are nice and dark because I have so much overhang and so far the chickens have taken to them like a charm. They fit two at a time per cabinet (these are the overhead hanging kitchen cabinet type that I got from restore), so 4 of them can lay at the same time when there is egg rush hour. I am very happy with my setup.

Cheers,
Jo
Edited to link to a pic of the access hatch idea:

Last edited:
wow! i got some it was 25 bucks for a 10 lbs bag tho!

YOWZA, that is a lot of money!!!!! I get mine in NY @ Agway and pay about $16.00 for a 40lb bag. I would look elsewhere for a cheaper price. GOOD LUCK!

Comments on that set up?
Thanks
Diane

I thought about putting mine under the poop board also but it would have been hard to get the eggs. I love the access hatch idea!

I decided to place my nesting boxes on the back wall between the poop boards because I thought some chickens may need a step to jump on in order to get to the roosts. Turns out most of them just jump right up to the board with no problem. I do have a few silkies that will use the nesting boxes as a ladder up to the roosts though so it works good.

Also, I try not to put too much under the board area because I find most of my girls need that space to jump down off the roosts. It is their "landing zone", pretty funny to watch.

Good luck with your design!

Trish

thanks for the ideas,,Since my 'coop' is a 4 x 12 section of my shed, I think putting the nesting boxes on the 12ft long wall, (inside of shed) would work great, as I can then easily access them from the inside of the shed and give more floor space as well..

Thanks for the great ideas, (I can hear my husband now, "you want me to make HOLES in the wall I just put up!!!" LOL)

WOW, I'm so glad I read this post too!! Thank you to the OP for it. :D Beeing new to Chickens, I've learned so much!! I definitely want a set up like this. :D

Last weekend I talked my husband into remodeling the roost in our coop and making a poop board with a tray. I picked up a bag of PDZ at Tractor Supply for $10, I should have gotten two but one is working for now. So far I love this new system!! We made a double roost bar above it so the hens had enough room and after the first night of confusion they have loved it! That first morning there were 3 eggs laid in the PDZ, lol.... we had to lock them out of the coop most of the day while we made the changes and I think some of the ladies were crossing their legs! Must have let the egg go while they were roosting! Anyway, it just takes me a couple of minutes to scoop it all clean with a kitty litter scoop when I go get eggs for the day. So easy and nice and clean!!

We are in the process of building a second coop and this will be part of the design for sure!!

Last weekend I talked my husband into remodeling the roost in our coop and making a poop board with a tray. I picked up a bag of PDZ at Tractor Supply for $10, I should have gotten two but one is working for now. So far I love this new system!! We made a double roost bar above it so the hens had enough room and after the first night of confusion they have loved it! That first morning there were 3 eggs laid in the PDZ, lol.... we had to lock them out of the coop most of the day while we made the changes and I think some of the ladies were crossing their legs! Must have let the egg go while they were roosting! Anyway, it just takes me a couple of minutes to scoop it all clean with a kitty litter scoop when I go get eggs for the day. So easy and nice and clean!!

We are in the process of building a second coop and this will be part of the design for sure!!

Casie, could you please post a picture and maybe some measurements of how you did your double roost bar and your poop board? I am laying out my coop before we start building and I am planning on doing the PDZ under the roost. I like the idea of doing a double roost just to make sure we have enough space. I know another member, Caity, is in the same boat with planning right now.

Back
Top Bottom