Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
I got my 1st poopboard made today. Gonna sneak out there tonight and see if they are on it :)
I love the added touch of the mirror!
clap.gif

lol, actually the mirror was left in the building that I use and converted into the coop. Nobody wanted it, so I left it for the ladies...lol

I didn't read through all the posts for the last year, but I have a question...do the birds just head that way because it's a roost? I'm thinking I might need to add one of these to the coop!

Oh, and what width (depth) does it need to be? I'm thinking about putting one over the nesting boxes, which are about a foot deep - and 4' wide.

You can see they enjoy hanging out on this cabinet - haven't strated laying yet. Putting the poop board above the nesting boxes would make it about 4' off the ground - but the birds seem to like that upper roost quite a bit. Oh, the coop gets cleaned this weekend! Sorry. And how far above the poop board should the roost be?

Last edited:
I didn't read through all the posts for the last year, but I have a question...do the birds just head that way because it's a roost? I'm thinking I might need to add one of these to the coop!

Oh, and what width (depth) does it need to be? I'm thinking about putting one over the nesting boxes, which are about a foot deep - and 4' wide.

You can see they enjoy hanging out on this cabinet - haven't strated laying yet. Putting the poop board above the nesting boxes would make it about 4' off the ground - but the birds seem to like that upper roost quite a bit. Oh, the coop gets cleaned this weekend! Sorry. And how far above the poop board should the roost be?

Mine are about 24" deep- that catches all the poop in either direction no problem. My roosts are about 10" above the boards. Gives plenty of room to clean but not enough room for them to sleep under.

Good luck with your design!

Trish

Mine are 24" wide and the roosts are probably 8-10" high. My boards are 4' off the ground with the nest boxes under and it works very well.

My only problem is not all of my 10 week olds roost on the perch; they still tend to cluster together and some will roost on the ledge. Hopefully they will grow out of it as they get older and bigger. One of the cockerels has claimed the end spont by the coop door as "his spot" and is there every night lol.

Last edited:
OK...went out and measured - the top of the cabinet/nesting boxes is 13" wide - if I just box that in with some 1x3s, think that's wide enough, or should I extend it out to 24"? Not a major construction ordeal by any means either way...actually, that 9" or so extension would make a "shade awning" over the nesting boxes - maybe that's a good idea...

And should the roost - on the front side of the box - be a round dowel or a 2x4? I've seen differing opinions on using a round dowel.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom