Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
We love our PDz poop board. Our problem now is the older girls won't let the new girls on the roost. So the new girls are roosting on the community nest box we have,that has a sloped lid. I am thinking that we need to make another roost over the nest box for these girls but I don't want it to be too high for them to get up onto. Or too low that we can't open the nest box lid. Our nest box is 39 inches high with the lid open, it has 12 inch legs that could posiibly be shortened. Would it be ridiculous to put another roost up this high? Or do you think the older girls will come around within the next few weeks and let the younger ones on the roost. We have had the new girls for about a month and this seems to be the only problem they are having of getting along together.

Or do you think the older girls will come around within the next few weeks and let the younger ones on the roost. We have had the new girls for about a month and this seems to be the only problem they are having of getting along together.
I don't really have enough experience to offer advice. My general attitude is "lets see what happens". But after a month, maybe you might need to do another roost?

So the gals have been out in the coop for 3 nights now. Definitely see signs they are using the ladder more and starting to roost. More droppings on the poop board.
ya.gif
I'm thinking of sneaking out there tonight with a flashlight to see exactly what is going on and who is using it!

We also just got a new kitty...which means new litter box. Haven't tried the PDZ in there yet but might do that. I wasn't thinking and bought just one litter scoop. Then realized I needed one for the coop too. Before I went to store, I asked my mom if she had an extra one. (she recently downsized the amount of cats she had). She did. I went to get it. WOOHOO. Leave it to mom to have the fanciest one around. It has a long handle and is metal. And a nice hole in handle that I can hang it in the coop!

So the gals have been out in the coop for 3 nights now. Definitely see signs they are using the ladder more and starting to roost. More droppings on the poop board.
ya.gif
I'm thinking of sneaking out there tonight with a flashlight to see exactly what is going on and who is using it!

We also just got a new kitty...which means new litter box. Haven't tried the PDZ in there yet but might do that. I wasn't thinking and bought just one litter scoop. Then realized I needed one for the coop too. Before I went to store, I asked my mom if she had an extra one. (she recently downsized the amount of cats she had). She did. I went to get it. WOOHOO. Leave it to mom to have the fanciest one around. It has a long handle and is metal. And a nice hole in handle that I can hang it in the coop!

I still don't have a scoop and I've had poop boards for over a month. I keep forgetting to buy one when I go to the store lol. I made one using an old gardening shovel handle and wrapping 1/2" wire mesh around the end. It works but its heavy and my boards are 4' off the ground. Thanks for reminging me, I'm going to write it on my list right now
lol.png

That's exactly what I do...snooping around with a flashlight, Immsurenmy neighbors think I'm nuts. Tonite when I checked on them, all my tetras were in one spot, my lone barred rock in her own spot and then the 6 new buffs on the nest box. This is different from a few nights ago Somali am thinking maybe the buffs just like that spot. I am seeing a new roost in our future! My DH is going to be smacking his head!

24" front to back

Would that have one or two roost bars over it? If I just want one roost bar running a 4 ft wall how deep should the board be? My coop is only going to be 42" deep so I don't want half of it to be poop board (although I will if that is really necessary.)

Last edited:
That's exactly what I do...snooping around with a flashlight, Immsurenmy neighbors think I'm nuts. Tonite when I checked on them, all my tetras were in one spot, my lone barred rock in her own spot and then the 6 new buffs on the nest box. This is different from a few nights ago Somali am thinking maybe the buffs just like that spot. I am seeing a new roost in our future! My DH is going to be smacking his head!

I see that you are located right across the river from where I am (Poughkkepsie). Just wanted to let you know that there is a thread here on BYC for folks in the Hudson Valley and south of us---> https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/534036/southern-ny-dutchess-county-and-below/5450#post_9146785
Very funny thread with a diverse group of supportive people!
Tina

[COLOR=000080]So the gals have been out in the coop for 3 nights now.  Definitely see signs they are using the ladder more and starting to roost.  More droppings on the poop board. :ya I'm thinking of sneaking out there tonight with a flashlight to see exactly what is going on and who is using it! [/COLOR]

[COLOR=000080]We also just got a new kitty...which means new litter box.  Haven't tried the PDZ in there yet but might do that.  I wasn't thinking and bought just one litter scoop.  Then realized I needed one for the coop too.  Before I went to store, I asked my mom if she had an extra one. (she recently downsized the amount of cats she had).  She did.  I went to get it.  WOOHOO.  Leave it to mom to have the fanciest one around.  It has a long handle and is metal.  And a nice hole in handle that I can hang it in the coop![/COLOR]

I got carried away with the PDZ and started using it in my cat litter. It actually works!

Would that have one or two roost bars over it? If I just want one roost bar running a 4 ft wall how deep should the board be? My coop is only going to be 42" deep so I don't want half of it to be poop board (although I will if that is really necessary.)
I only have one roost bar. My chicks are still yourng 13 weeks and some roost on the bar and some on the ledge of the tray which is only 1/2" wide lol. As of right now there is poo from front to back so I can only imagine it will be the same once they're full grown and all roost on the bar. You may be able to get away with 18" depending on the size of your breed.

Back
Top Bottom