Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
I have an animal rescue and use Sweet PDZ all the time on the horses and goats but never considered using it in the chicken coop. I mix Sevin5 in their nesting boxes for mites and what. And I love your coop what a nice home. I only use granules the powder is just that powder and gets everywhere to much dust.

Would that have one or two roost bars over it? If I just want one roost bar running a 4 ft wall how deep should the board be? My coop is only going to be 42" deep so I don't want half of it to be poop board (although I will if that is really necessary.)

I have just one roost bar over the 24" deep board- that gives a clearance of 12" behind them and 12" in front. This pretty much insures that all the poop is caught on the board (no messy walls). You could cut it back some but you might have occasional poops outside the board. I probably would not go less than 18" deep.

Good Luck!

Trish

We love our PDz poop board. Our problem now is the older girls won't let the new girls on the roost. So the new girls are roosting on the community nest box we have,that has a sloped lid. I am thinking that we need to make another roost over the nest box for these girls but I don't want it to be too high for them to get up onto. Or too low that we can't open the nest box lid. Our nest box is 39 inches high with the lid open, it has 12 inch legs that could posiibly be shortened. Would it be ridiculous to put another roost up this high? Or do you think the older girls will come around within the next few weeks and let the younger ones on the roost. We have had the new girls for about a month and this seems to be the only problem they are having of getting along together.

Are your new girls much younger?

I add new pullets to my "big girl" coop all the time. The new ones always lay low for quite some time- in fact if you look at my coop pictures you will notice a wooden tree branch down low in the coop. My young girls and Silkies tend to perch there or on the floor. After a few months they can easily be found snuggled up to the big girls on the roost. Incidentally, when I add younger cockerels I find them up on the roost in a day or two- go figure.

Trish

I have an animal rescue and use Sweet PDZ all the time on the horses and goats but never considered using it in the chicken coop. I mix Sevin5 in their nesting boxes for mites and what. And I love your coop what a nice home. I only use granules the powder is just that powder and gets everywhere to much dust.

Thank you
big_smile.png

I love both the powder and granules, I find them both less dusty than sand. The only time it gets overly dusty is when someone decides to take a dust bath in it
ep.gif
Luckily that does not happen often because they prefer the dirt outside but occasionally bad weather makes that impossible.

Either case it's a good thing because it constantly gets kicked into my shavings and freshens them daily
yesss.gif

I have just one roost bar over the 24" deep board- that gives a clearance of 12" behind them and 12" in front. This pretty much insures that all the poop is caught on the board (no messy walls). You could cut it back some but you might have occasional poops outside the board. I probably would not go less than 18" deep.

Good Luck!

Trish

Are your new girls much younger?

I add new pullets to my "big girl" coop all the time. The new ones always lay low for quite some time- in fact if you look at my coop pictures you will notice a wooden tree branch down low in the coop. My young girls and Silkies tend to perch there or on the floor. After a few months they can easily be found snuggled up to the big girls on the roost. Incidentally, when I add younger cockerels I find them up on the roost in a day or two- go figure.

Trish

Trish,
Hope you dont mind a few more questions...how do your silkies manage to get up onto the roost over the poop board...and, are your silkies in your main coop with other large breeds?

We are converting our 8' x 16' shed and I've been trying to figure out whether i can put our silkie chicks together into one large coop with the other chicks and if so...whether should I build a lower poop board for the silkies underneath a waist high poop board. We currently have 2 polish, 7 silkie and 10 LF chicks in three different temporary places while we work on our coop.

If necessary, i can divide whole coop into two sections but would prefer one large space. My daughter is disabled and has difficulty bending down, so poop baords at waist height would be ideal for her. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?
Tina

All I have is the powder, for the chickens.  I can't imagine using it for a litter box!  I think the granules would be better, anyway!  I might look into that soon.

I forgot to mention that I am mixing PDZ granules with clumping cat litter. I haven't completely switched over to full PDZ in the litter box yet. Tina

I read on the sweet PDZ website that for kitty litter use, pour it under the clumping type litter and over the non clumping litter. I'm giving 2 cat people a couple of cups to try it before they invest in a bag.

Last edited:
My new girls are about 3weeks younger then my original flock. For 11 chickens we have 8 feet of roost. Trisha you gave me an excellent idea....we have an empty corner where we can put a temporary lower roost for the new girls. I'm concerned that they will end up having a leg problem if they continue to roost on a slope.

Subscribing! Awesome thread!

We have 30 chicks and 5 poults coming in a couple weeks... if I can find the PDZ or simular product I will give it a try when I move the chicks off paper towels. I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom