Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
try a little vegetable oil rubbed into the adhesive to break the bond. I'm going to use window screen and small gauge wire to attach it to my scooper. It's on the honey do list.

Our first egg,laid today, was found on the poop board. She cleared away the PDZ and laid it right in the corner of the L.. Isn't this a strange spot to leave an egg, we have very nice nest box for them, with egg decoys.

Our first egg,laid today, was found on the poop board. She cleared away the PDZ and laid it right in the corner of the L.. Isn't this a strange spot to leave an egg, we have very nice nest box for them, with egg decoys.

After reading about poop boards on this thread, I retrofitted my 25 year old coop and installed poopboards and a new roost. I am now a convert. It takes me only 10 minutes every other day to clean up after my 13 bantams. Above is my coop with the new roost and poopboards and below is my coop before I installed the poopboards. It took a weekend and a lot of contortiones to get the boards in place. But I LOVE THEM. I have 13 Bantams. Thank you so much.

This was my coop before poop boards were installed. And my new run was installed to the left of the coop. (Broody box is to the right

I have found an occasional egg on the boards but it is not a regular thing. I think my new layers tend to drop one their until they get the hang of the nest boxes. Curios to see if yours do the same.

Good luck!
Trish

After reading about poop boards on this thread, I retrofitted my 25 year old coop and installed poopboards and a new roost. I am now a convert. It takes me only 10 minutes every other day to clean up after my 13 bantams. Above is my coop with the new roost and poopboards and below is my coop before I installed the poopboards. It took a weekend and a lot of contortiones to get the boards in place. But I LOVE THEM. I have 13 Bantams. Thank you so much.

This was my coop before poop boards were installed. And my new run was installed to the left of the coop. (Broody box is to the right

NICE JOB! Really great conversion and you just added a whole second story for the chickens, I'm sure they are loving it!

Thanks so much for posting your pics and giving everyone some great ideas
big_smile.png

I love how you have the front of your coop wide open and I may be stealing that for my Polish pen
wink.png

Thanks!
Trish

I have only found one egg on the poop board...new layer...but she got the idea really fast ...that 1st egg must have surprised her. LOL. The front is covered with hardware cloth 1/2 x 1/2 inch. I will be changing the front into 3 doors once I get the new coop built and I can move the chickens out. So that I will have 2 doors in the large section and one door in the small section. They will be floor to ceiling wire similar to what I have now except I will be able to open the whole front for cleaning. When I installed the poop boards it reduced my ability to clean easily. So by making the whole front open-able I will have solved the problem I created and will no longer have to be a contortionist to clean the front of the coop.

2eggs in 2 days were in the same spot on the poop board, she cleared a nice little spot each time. Today's she cleared a spot again but used the nest box, go figure! So we are 3 for 3....

What a great idea! Thanks. We built our first coop and had already placed a poop board. I made my son-in-law put a lip around it in case I wanted to put some sort of sand in there. Thanks to your post, I now know exactly what to use. Can the sweet PDZ be found at the tractor supply store?

Thanks guys
big_smile.png

Sweet PDZ is a horse stall refresher- it absorbs moisture and smell. I forget exactly what it is made of but it is completely safe for chickens- I think it is made from a mineral maybe? Works GREAT for chicken poop. When my girls are getting on the perches at night they kick a little on to the floor and freshen up the shavings too.

I'm brand new.....I'm building a very small coop for 4-5 hens. Tell me more about Sweet PDZ. Is it like sand that you use as litter? Sorry to be dumb....I'm on a pretty big learning curb!

bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom