Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
I have one board that is 2' wide and spans two 8' walls of my coop (L-shape). I think I used three 25lb bags of PDZ and I desperately need to add 1-2 more bags because it wasn't totally full, but it's lasted since April.

Last edited:
I picked up Stall Dry at Fleet Farm to try as an alternative and am not as happy with it as the PDZ. I don't think it keeps the odor down as well. For me I can get the Stall Dry in town but PDZ is about an hour away, same price though.

I love the PDZ! Makes a huge difference how long the bedding stays fresh and how often I half to replace the shavings, with it, I just have to "fluff" once a week, take out any bedding that's bad, and not have to change it all

If you sift the poop on the board only a small bit of whats on the poop sticks. I use 1/3 DE, 1/3 DMZ, 1/3 sand and haven't added any for months. You don't loose much (I use the granulated DMZ) It just coats the poop with a fine coating that sucks the moisture and ammonia out of it and leaves it dry. I got a plastic sifter at the Dollar Store that has the right size holes to let the DE, DMZ & Sand thru but leaves the poop in the sifter....then I just dump it in my manure pile. When I sprinkle it in the goose pen I just hit the goose poop lightly and then rake it up and add it to the manure pile (using a snow shovel as a dust pan.) Keeps the goose poop smell down. My poop board as about 18" wide by 6 ft long and 1.5 "deep.

Thanks, Brookliner. Will do the drive. So would you say a quarter of a 25 # bag for your poop tray? (1.5 ft X 6 Ft X 1.5 inches)

I have one board that is 2' wide and spans two 8' walls of my coop (L-shape). I think I used three 25lb bags of PDZ and I desperately need to add 1-2 more bags because it wasn't totally full, but it's lasted since April.
Yo..that is getting a bit pricey. I think I will follow B's advice and mix it with sand and DE.

Yo..that is getting a bit pricey. I think I will follow B's advice and mix it with sand and DE.

It was, but the way I see it, I would've went through way more than that in litter so far since I haven't had to clean out my coop yet and wont have to until at least next spring. It's also not so bad when you consider I covered almost 30sq ft with PDZ. It cost $40 to cover the floor of my coop in litter so the $30 investment in PDZ 'vs' having to clean the coop at least once a month since April is a good trade off. I could get by on only one more bag of PDZ but I'd rather fill it up so I don't have to do it again for a while. Oh, and there were 17 chickens using the poop trays so I don't think it was too bad.

Back
Top Bottom