Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
Thanks to you all. I will do the drive if I need to but first I'm going to ask my local L&M Fleet if they will order Sweet PDZ. Worth a try. I've got DE coming in on the Azure Standard Truck. (food grade Codex) so we'll have a nice winter coop ready for my 19 poopers. you've all sold me on this stuff.

Reply to Missa Chickabee... You don't need to have it really deep just enough to scoop. If you have an epically wet spot just put a bit of the mix on it and it will dry up. I will add a picture of my sifter you can see in the picture that I don't have it too deep. You could easily get by with a 25 lb bag as long as you mix it with the DE & sand.

Pictures in next post.

The top picture shows the left side depooped and the right side ready to depoop. I probably only have 1/2 inch of my 1/3 PDZ, 1/3 DE and 1/3 sand mix on the board. I have hardly lost any depth since I started using it. The second picture (sorry it s blurred) is after I picked up the poopy mix and am ready to shake it (gently). The poop stays in the sifter with a thin coating of the mix covering it. I then use the brush to level the remaining mix on the poop board. The sifter came with a smaller version at the dollar store for $1.50.
I will be hatching chicks again soon and am thinking of using this mix in my broody coop as it will keep the shavings out of my waterer. I will probably make it deeper so the chicks have a stable surface to walk on 3/4" instead of 1/2". I can get it here (PDZ) at Blue Seal, Agway, TSC. If you live in an area with horse people you should be able to get it in some variation. It is basically Zeolite a natural mineral. I have also used zeolite in my fish pond to remove ammonia...it comes in big chunks for ponds (about walnut size). Here is another discussion post on this subject google Sweet PDZ versus DRYSTALL? for odor it will bring you to the other post on BYC. Good luck PDZ is well worth a trip.

Last edited:
I use zeolite straight up and a kitty litter scoop. I have an almost eight foot x 32 in. board and dumped in a 50 # bag and that was the first of June and have added just 10 more pounds maybe. Didn't need to add any except I wanted a thicker layer for easier scooping. There is no odor no problems.... nothing to compain about. I love it.

Just as an FYI, if you take the bag of PDZ into the coop, then get called out of the coop by someone and leave the PDZ alone for 5 minutes, the chickens will peck holes in the bag and PDZ will be everywhere while the chickens have a PDZ spreading party
gig.gif

Last edited:
Just as an FYI, if you take the bag of PDZ into the coop, then get called out of the coop by someone and leave the PDZ alone for 5 minutes, the chickens will peck holes in the bag and PDZ will be everywhere while the chickens have a PDZ spreading party
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

So, what you're saying is just throw the bag in the coop and the chickens will do the work for you?

Back
Top Bottom