Poop board with or without lip?

No lip. I use white hard board bathroom paneling. It is Brown hardboard coated on one side with slick white surface similar to dry erase board. Look up my gallery coop pics as I can't seem to get to them on the phone. Call me lazy but I saw no point in sifting and scooping trays everyday. I can scrape off my 8 foot board in under 30 seconds. I do this every 2 days. I use a 6" wide plastic putty knife and scrape into a large dust pan. No other poop board method I have seen on this site is easier than the set up I use. But the key is too use the slick white hardboard. Plywood or textured vinyl won't work nearly as well

No lip. I use white hard board bathroom paneling. It is Brown hardboard coated on one side with slick white surface similar to dry erase board. Look up my gallery coop pics as I can't seem to get to them on the phone. Call me lazy but I saw no point in sifting and scooping trays everyday. I can scrape off my 8 foot board in under 30 seconds. I do this every 2 days. I use a 6" wide plastic putty knife and scrape into a large dust pan. No other poop board method I have seen on this site is easier than the set up I use. But the key is too use the slick white hardboard. Plywood or textured vinyl won't work nearly as well
I agree that does sound easy, but scooping it out only takes a minute or so as well. But the reason I like the sweet PDZ is the liquid and ammonia absorbing properties. My coup does not smell. At all. Even after they have been in there all night on the roost. I also like that it helps keep humidity down in the coop.

I use a poop board with no lip. I cover it with a light dusting of sand, scrape any poop into a bucket each morning and re-dust it with more sand. I have a couple of girls that tried using it as a dust bathing area when I kept the sand deeper so I removed the lip.

I built mine with a lip, contains about 3/4" of sand/sweet pdz. Gets sifted with a cat litter scoop a couple times a week, no smell at all.

I personally think that a poop board with or without a lip doesn't matter to much. It's just personal preference and what works best in a particular situation.

I personally think that a poop board with or without a lip doesn't matter to much. It's just personal preference and what works best in a particular situation.
Yes, but it sure is fun to talk about in glorious detail! Especially for a newbie like me.
I use a poop board with no lip. I cover it with a light dusting of sand, scrape any poop into a bucket each morning and re-dust it with more sand. I have a couple of girls that tried using it as a dust bathing area when I kept the sand deeper so I removed the lip.
My poop board will be lined with vinyl but no lip. This information is very helpful; I like the idea of dusting it with sand.

Last edited:
To all those who use a sand/pdz/stable dri mix... I cannot find anywhere where this material is compostable. I do know that sand is not - so my thinking is the others are not either. I get they are not harmful, w/ the exception of possible e-coli not being removed. Thoughts on this?

I love the idea of a clean smelling coop... but we want to use our chicken poo :)

Back
Top Bottom