Poop boards

Vinegar might damage the wood and attract flies... I would say to either dilute it lots and wipe it off afterward or use soap and water with a bucket underneath so the chickens don't be silly and drink it. Apple cider vinegar will attract more flies than distilled white vinegar.

instead of poop boards I got some long cheap black plastic floor runners, cut them to the proper length and i slide them in and out from under the roosts as needed. they catch most everything and are super easy to move and clean. i empty them daily and disinfect them down once a week. just be sure they're dry before putting back in and the bedding underneath is dry as the plastic can trap moisture.

@APKS has the right idea. A bag of PDZ is $12 and will last 1-2 months if one is careful.

My drop board is 3' by 10' and if I carefully sift the entire thing takes 15 minutes; a quick pickup of the majority of overnight waste is 5 minutes. Add a minute or two to pass by the compost heap and you are done.

Eliminates smells and ammonia, provides grit when your birds peck at it and gives great fertilizer for your garden.

I read the ongoing never ending debates on how to manage waste and smh.

@APKS has the right idea. A bag of PDZ is $12 and will last 1-2 months if one is careful.

My drop board is 3' by 10' and if I carefully sift the entire thing takes 15 minutes; a quick pickup of the majority of overnight waste is 5 minutes. Add a minute or two to pass by the compost heap and you are done.

Eliminates smells and ammonia, provides grit when your birds peck at it and gives great fertilizer for your garden.

I read the ongoing never ending debates on how to manage waste and smh.
Dumb question: what exactly is PDZ? I would love to be able to scoop poop every day and put it in the compost. I don’t have a drop board; I really need to make one

Back
Top Bottom