Poop boards....

I don't know who the person was that decided to use poop boards with PDZ in them but I hope they won an award of some sort!! That is the best thing ever!! Glad I decided to do that in my build....clean up is like 5 minutes and done!
I built my poop board out of an old 24" hollow core door on legs about 36" tall, framed it with 2x4s and built the nest boxes underneath. The roost bar is just about 4-6" above the poop board (old door). It has worked so well and freed up space in the coop! There is even storage room under the nests for bales of pine shavings! The whole thing takes up an area of 2' deep x8' long x 3' high against one wall of the coop and provides roosting, easy cleaning, 5 nest boxes and storage - a WIN in my book!! :thumbsup

Last edited:
I'm currently finishing up building our second coop. I have a raised coop that opens about waist high at the short side of the rectangle. We are putting 3 roosting bars across the short side extending into the coop at graduating heights from the coop floor. If I make an area underneath the bars for the PDZ should it be off the floor to keep chickens out of it? Or will they get into it? Will this even work for my coop?
I use hemp bedding and it gets expensive. This sounds like a great way to keep the coop cleaner and more cost effective. Look forward to your responses. Thanks in advance for your help.

Could I do it in an existing coop?
Depends on what your coop is built from. Mine is a converted shed so was dead easy. Couple of pieces of wood fastened to either end, then boards fastened to them, sheet of lino on top for easy clean put a lip across the front to keep it on the board, roost about 8 inches above board. No bending to clean makes it a dream. I use kiln dried sand from MKM builders merchant and Hempbed poultry bedding which I buy from Flyte So Fancy for about £21 a bale. I mix the two together on the board, I love the scent of the hemp in there.

I saved money on mine by building it like a litter box. Raised sides and filled with all purpose sand, then sprinkle some pdz on top. It scoops so easily and nothing ever hits the boards themselves. It's my favorite feature in the coop! We actually added an extension on the coop this year so we had enough room to put it in and easily get in to clean it. Last year, I had to change out the bedding every week or so. There hasn't been a single piece of poop on the bedding since I installed the poop box.

I don't know who the person was that decided to use poop boards with PDZ in them but I hope they won an award of some sort!! That is the best thing ever!! Glad I decided to do that in my build....clean up is like 5 minutes and done!
Just found out about PDZ. Use the bag sold for horses. Same exact product but 75% cheaper. My oldest chicken sometimes lays shell-less eggs and this really makes it easier to clean up!

Back
Top Bottom