Poop Door ...literally.

Wagnit09

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
So, in looking around I see lots of creative ideas. But, I'm wondering if anyone has a poop door, as in literal poop?

Hubby always tells me "you design it and I'll build it" but he is great at improvising, too. I designed my coop to have a storage area. Originally, the "human" door accessed the coop and then the storage area from inside. Hubby's idea was to go from outside into the storage area then into the coop. This would allow more coop space. Also, I can keep my coop boots inside the "coop" and not inside the house or left on the patio where the kids can get them. Primarily, it seemed to be better work flow to drop food and supplies without going through the coop.

The "poop door" came into being when I said moving litter from the coop through the storage area would be too much of a hassle and just make more area to clean. He suggested just building another door, the "poop door". When it is time to change out the litter, the door can be opened and the litter pushed through it.

20180425_174121.jpg

From inside the coop. The plan is to elevate the nesting boxes above this door. Although, I might put the roosts on this side now. I haven't completely decided yet.

20180425_174106.jpg

From outside; door will hinge up and latch in place. Can sweep, shovel, or rake litter directly into wagon or wheelbarrow for transport to appropriate area.

So, that's our plan for a poop door. Are we completely crazy? Did I miss something that hasn't made this a more common feature? I'm hoping it's more in the innovative and pioneering labels but I haven't ruled out dumb and crazy yet.

Back
Top Bottom