Poop Hammock Rocks!!

very useful.i think i am going to add that to my coop.
thumbsup.gif

My bride came up with a brilliant idea for a poop hammock! We started using an old shower curtain but that was a hassle to attach, take down, re-attach.

We found an old banner from a car dealership promotion that was from 2011. It happened to be exact size to use, has grommets in 6 places, sturdy material.

I used 1/4 in. eye screws, and dual end snaps to attach under the roosts.

For those of you looking for an solution and dont want to use fabric, shade cloth, etc. that will have to be sewn....maybe check with local car dealers and ask of they have old banners that you can have. I work at a dealer and we have lots of them that just end up in the trash...

I will let you know how it works!

Awesome idea! Would you be able to post a picture or describe how you built it? We just built a coop and the girls are about to go outside. Always looking for ideas to make cleaning the coop easier :)

The layout of my coop and roosts make it impossible to hang poop hammocks, but I could just lay one down flat on my coop floor at dusk, then carry it out and hose it off every morning, then leave it in the sun to dry and sanitize all day. Awesome!!!

This looks really interesting BUT my husband walks in, looks at some of the pictures and says "Oh, that's too much trouble." I'll just have to keep this thread in mind and when my sewing projects lessen, pull this out and think about doing this then. I really like the idea. I have 6 hens and think this might be a neat idea to put in their little coop.

I like the poop hammock idea, but I can't figure out how to fit one into my coop. Right now I have a poop board with miniflake shavings on it, so I scoop the poops with a kitty litter scoop, and all the shavings fall through the scoop; then I fling the poops under my pecan tree, which desperately needs fertilizer in order to produce nuts. I don't have a compost pile yet.

Last edited:
After researching and reading these threads, my husband and I made a poop hammock out of a medium duty tarp. We screwed hooks on the sides of their roosting area and hung the tarp (we trimmed and sewed it to fit) by the grommets, and so far it works great! keeps the litter beneath the roosts clean, and the water-resistance of the tarp means that even the "peanut-butter" poops don't stick as bad! :) To cut down on the odor of the collected poo, I sprinkle some Coop and Compost granules in the tarp, and dump it every one or two days. Very convenient!

Anyone do this for larger scale operations? We are gearing up to have 60 laying hens in the next few weeks. If I can get the customer base I will be increasing to 100 by October. I don't want to have poop mountain under the roosts.

Back
Top Bottom