Poop Hammock Rocks!!

takes less than 5 minutes to clean the poop hammock.... it's filled with Sweet PDZ... its like cleaning a kitty litter box. No smell...I clean it twice a week.

takes less than 5 minutes to clean the poop hammock.... it's filled with Sweet PDZ... its like cleaning a kitty litter box. No smell...I clean it twice a week.
mine wasn't that easy. Mine was over 8 foot long and that much in height or more. Was a pain to take down and then just plain out nasty looking when not washed every other day.

The hammock is made from canvas and catches the poop which is pretty easy to just scoop out of the hammock. .
thumbsup.gif
I have a bit of a variation but I agree fully.
POOP BOARDS are the "BEST" addition yet. Handles well over ½ of the poop in my set up keeps ammonia smell in check 3½" below roost excellent for catching eggs laid through the night (roost are in cups for easier removal and cleaning). I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Winter months even easier flex over compost bin DONE!
Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.

Easy peasy!.

With me being sick right now with this upper resp. infection and bronchitis it's tending to itself and I'm not doing anything to the deep litter. SO happy even more I did it now because I know hubby wouldn't have wanted to tend to poop dumping to. lol AND dragging that nasty thing off and hanging it on the clothes line and washing it in this cold weather. Bee thank you SO MUCH for telling me about deep litter. I could hug your neck once again! :D I have turned their poop under their roost under only once in the past week and it's still not stinking last time I checked it.

Last edited:
I don't know why you need to take it down? The poop never hits mine....just plops on the Sweet PDZ and dries out. I do have it pretty tight so it's more like a tray. Couple of times a week I scoop with a kitty litter scoop.....I never even replaced the PDZ....just add a little more once in a while.

I don't know why you need to take it down? The poop never hits mine....just plops on the Sweet PDZ and dries out. I do have it pretty tight so it's more like a tray. Couple of times a week I scoop with a kitty litter scoop.....I never even replaced the PDZ....just add a little more once in a while.
because of the way mine was is why I had to take it off. IF I didn't take it out I would just scoop out the poop and it would take me a pretty good length of time to do that with 30 something chickens at the time. The poop hit the hammock and would roll down to the bottom and it was a mess all the way down. There's a pic on here some where of mine without the hammock. I made that later on. Anyway it just did not work for me at all. I hated the thing.

Here's what mine looks like before cleaning......

And after.....

Notice it's stretched tighter so the Sweet PDZ covers the whole thing. Keeps it completely clean!
wee.gif

Question, does the hammock have to be off the floor? Do the chickens scratch out the PTZ or walk in the poop if it is not elevated?

Just wondering as I am getting 3 chicks, coop will be 4' x 8' and a tray/hammock whatever with PTZ sounds like a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom