Poop Hammock Rocks!!

Since installing the poop hammock a couple of weeks ago I've seen maybe 5 poops on the floor. I scoop the hammock's PDZ every 3 or 4 days and I have no odor! YIPPEEEE

I have got to try this, just as soon as I work out the setup for the rest of my coop. There's a rabbit cage in there now, acting as roost, platform for food/water, and as a giant pain in the butt as its right in my way. Perhaps I'll do an a-frame roost, and hang the hammock on the bottom of the frame?

This is what I was talking about for the chicks roost. We fixed it on a pivot system so I can pick up and tie it so it will be out of my way to clean under it. Am wondering WHAT I would hook the back one to and then the front one would hook to the front or close to the bottom steps. BUT then unless I add a longer chain to the back all the poop would be at the bottom which I don't guess would be sooo bad. Would be easier to get out I guess since it would fall down to the bottom huh? ;-)

This is exactly how we made our roost as well. I love the idea of putting something under it that I can wash off into a bucket. I just can't figure out the mechanics. So I am interested in seeing if anyone figured out something creative.

Here's our (unfinished) roost. It is attached to heavy duty hinges and raises up to a hook that holds it up so we can clean underneath it:

I get my feed sacks at Big R. All the chicken and dog food sacks made by Purina are the plastic cloth. I don't care for Purina, but theyvdonhave pretty sacks!

This is exactly how we made our roost as well. I love the idea of putting something under it that I can wash off into a bucket. I just can't figure out the mechanics. So I am interested in seeing if anyone figured out something creative.

Here's our (unfinished) roost. It is attached to heavy duty hinges and raises up to a hook that holds it up so we can clean underneath it:

What I worry about is one of them falling off the roost into the thing as big and wide as mine would have to be. I do have something I could put in there for them to climb up on to get out BUT it's pitch black in the coop and night and I am afraid they wouldn't be able to find it in the dark and also the board in there to climb out on, that might hurt them IF they did fall into the hammock. :( Since mine are only using the top TWO roost anyway I might just make it just for those two. ????? decisions, decisions.

Got my poop hammock made tonight. Hopefully can get er installed tomorrow for them to get used to during the day. The only worries I have is if one of them falls off the roost into it, and one has fallen off already because I saw it. Well actually it got knocked off. :( The all want to sleep on the very top roost . Anyway since their roost is like a stair almost the poop hammock will be pretty wide AND deep. I plan on putting something in there so they can climb out if the fall in it. Don't know what yet, put that's my plans.

All chickens want to be 'Queen of the Roost' as well as 'Top of the Pecking Order'. I have 20 chickens and 16 stay on the top roost ( 8' long) while the other 4 go 1 down, then one will wake up, jump to the top and knock another one off. My girls are entertainment 24/7. When they finish growing, I'm sure the numbers will change.

That one didn't last long at all. Got tired of that ugly nasty thing and went to deep litter. No more hauling that thing outta there and no more spending lots time cleaning it out. LOVING the deep litter and the garden will love it even better in the spring when I clean it out for the garden. All I do now is turn the poop under every other day under their roost and it takes less than 5 minutes and no stinky smells or nothing. Just smells like a forest smells that has lots of pine straw and leaves piled up under all the trees in the forest. anyway I am loving this MUCH better than that hammock.

Back
Top Bottom