Poop Hammock Rocks!!

snaps and grommets would be my choice. they're easy to put in with a setting tool and a hammer.
sewing would be nice but it would take me all winter with a needle, thread and thimble.
i do like the idea and will be making one for my chicken's coop - lots of great ideas on this site.

I have a snap press.....but can't find my die sets lol I'm a mess.
On the sewing machine, try dropping the feed dogs...

Thank you! I gave it another go last night and was able to make it work. I realized it was an issue with the feed dogs. I've never dropped them and sewn anything though, I'll have to look into that.

It ain't pretty, but its holding together
big_smile.png
I'll try to get it in the coop later today & post pics.

I would LOVE to do this but I have a small problem. The roost we made for our chicks is like a set of steps and has 4 rows of roost on it. Wondering IF I could still do this but it would have to be on a bigger scale I guess. Talking about a LOT of poop..... I have 16 rir's and 23 black aust. and sex links. I bet they can make some poop when they get older!!
D.gif

I thought about making some to sell when I made mine. I make a lot of items from feed sacks. The issues I ran into were basically size. I assume everyone's roosts are a different length. Attachments might be different, as well, depending on how you want to hang them. I hung mine on chains. They sometimes slip out of their slots on one end, so hanging both ends from chains is probably a better idea. They swing a lot when the girls use them to get to their roosts, but if you make it stable, they will use them as a roost. I can make you some, they won't be much money, if you wish.

I love, love, love mine. I also cover the back wall, next to the roost, with feed sacks for easier clean up. It's impossible to get poppies off a rough wood wall!

Anybody have these already made to size for sell?
I would LOVE to do this but I have a small problem. The roost we made for our chicks is like a set of steps and has 4 rows of roost on it. Wondering IF I could still do this but it would have to be on a bigger scale I guess. Talking about a LOT of poop..... I have 16 rir's and 23 black aust. and sex links. I bet they can make some poop when they get older!!
D.gif
I would have to see a picture, but I am thinking that, as you said, a really big one, with several sacks sewn together, might do the trick. It's definitely worth trying to work out. I just think the poopie hammocks are wonderful. So easy to scoop out every morning, easy on the back...no stooping to pick it up off the floor, and greatly reduces the smell. And as you said, you are looking at a LOT of poopies in your future!

We call ours a poop board, same concept though. Its a long piece of plywood that rests on shelf brackets and has a handle on the cleanout end of the coop. you just slide it out and shake it into the wheelbarrow. Id post a pic but we are new on the site and aren't allowed yet.

Quote:
Funny.....I'm doing the same thing with my feed sacks...adds a little color to the interior as well. Thought I was being original when I came up with that idea, feed sack montage.
lau.gif

Anyway, I finally got around to make the girls a poop hammock yesterday. I took two 2x2s and ripped them right down the middle on the table saw. Didn't have a feed sack available at the moment so I took an army green tarp, cut it to size, laid it between the 2 halves and screwed it together. Repeated on the other end with the other two halves. I put hooks on each end and 4 in the coop and hung it below the roost.

So I waited until the coop needed cleaning to do this. I cleaned all the shavings out and wiped everything down. Hung a new waterer and took out the ramp to their roost. They are 16 weeks old now and don't need the ramp. They were happily running around the yard being chickens. Then evening arrived and the first one went in the coop and turned around and came right back out. One by one the all did the same thing.
lau.gif
I finally got them in and they huddled up on the floor like they were little chicks again. Checked them at dark and they were still huddled so I picked them up and put them on the roost. They all pulled their skirts up and looked at that horrible aberration under their roost, clucking their disapproval. We'll see what tonight brings.

By the way, I was shocked at the amount of poo 3 chickens put out in one night!!!!

Back
Top Bottom