Poopy vent?

oconnorfamily25

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
Yesterday I went out to see my silkies. One little black hen, Penny, had a vent with a ring of poop around it. Also the feathers by her vent were wet and smoothed back so her usually hidden vent was clearly visible. I cleaned her up and now she seems fine. Can anyone tell me what that was??

hmm.png

I too have a hen that has a poopy butt. She's been laying for about a month, but I just noticed that in the last few days she had a little bit of poop on her vent area. I cleaned her all up today, but I don't know if I should be worried or if some poop on the butt is normal or not. I looked her all over and didn't see any mites or lice... any ideas?

I have the same issue going on. One of my hens is not laying (and hasn't in some time- about 2 yo) and has a mucky and exposed vent area. I've dusted her for external parasites twice (saw critters and thought that might be the issue.). Dusting her didn't seem to help so I put her in quarantine and have had her on a 2 week cycle of antibiotics. That hasn't helped. Other than her mucky backside she is eating and acting fine and is mad about being separated from the rest. Since she is not laying, however, there must be some continuing issue.
Any other suggestions? Should I try spraying her for external parasites? Can mites/lice make them stop laying?

Well, lacking replies, I've done a bit of research and opted to treat for "vent gleet." The antibiotics were a bad choice, since if it is gleet it will have made it worse. I've still got her quarantined and have started her on plain yogurt for the probiotics. I plan to also start with topical myconazole, but haven't picked it up yet. Will keep you posted. Good luck with your girls as well!

I have noticed the fluffy breeds ( silkies, EEs, cochins, ect ) are just prone to get a little poo on their feathers. Its a curse of having that adorable fluffy butt. Some birds just need bathed every now and then. Is the poo sticking to the feathers because they have diarrhea, or does it look more like a dingleberry? If its runny you may have a problem, if not I would clean it and keep an eye on it. Good luck!

Quote:
How long has it been since you've wormed them??? I would think since you've dusted for mites she may be loaded with internal parasites. Does she feel skinny? Notice anything in her stools? Sometimes you have to look hard for them- like dig around in it with a stick hard. Good luck!

I will check for worms... not looking forward to that!
When I cleaned her yesterday, it seems that she is rather soft/inflamed in the abdomen. I'm really thinking gleet, but will research internal parasites as well. Thanks!

Quote:
Poor girl. I hope its not vent fleet. I would hope for worms, I think they are easier to treat. I think vent fleet is fungal and you would need to put an anti fungle cream on her bum. Does she have the icky scabs on her bottom? I would think if she were loaded with worms it could cause her abdomen to feel soft as well, but not sure. Good luck with your girl, hope she gets better
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom